We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eynsford and thereabouts and Kentish daytrips in general

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Topic
Eynsford and thereabouts and Kentish daytrips in general

I was thinking of taking a daytrip from southeast London by train down to Eynsford. Just a few questions about this plan:

1. Is there anywhere else that anyone would suggest as a good alternative? The only requirements are that it is somewhere that can be reached fairly quickly and cheaply by public transport from southeast London and that there should be enough to do there to feel occupied for a day. Favoured activities would be gentle countryside wanderings, historical sites, churches, gardens, country pubs and teashops, pretty villages, etc.

2. What is it recommended to do in and around Eynsford for the day if one does not have any transport? Obviously I have seen the TripAdvisor list: the Roman villa (visited, many years ago), Eagle Heights (visited recently, not interested in going back), Lullingstone Country Park (can't locate it on GoogleMaps), Lullingstone Castle & The World Garden (never been; is it worth it, given that I am trying to have a day out on a tight budget and also bearing in mind limited time?), Eynsford Castle (visited, many years ago, would go again, especially as it's free!), Austin Lodge Golf Club (not a golfer). Also noted are churches of St Botolph, St Martin of Tours, and SS Peter and Paul. I know that there is also a famous viaduct. I am not a dog person. Does anyone with local knowledge know whether this is a big dog-walking area, e.g. in the country park?

Thanks for any help offered, JQ

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,716 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Eynsford and thereabouts and Kentish daytrips in general

If you are interested in countryside walks, you could try a section of the North Downs Way, which is a long distance footpath running from Farnham to Dover.

The way passes through Otford, near to Eynsford and accessible by train.

http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/northdowns/

You could also take the train to Folkestone and then a bus to Etchinhgill, and then do the final section of the way into Dover, including a walk along the top of the White Cliffs, where France is easily visible on a good day.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,261 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eynsford and thereabouts and Kentish daytrips in general

I don't know the place mentioned at all, but your description of what you'd wish for as an alternative reads like a tourist brochure for Rye.

Mike

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,306 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eynsford and thereabouts and Kentish daytrips in general

There is a nice river walk from Shoreham to Eynsford

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eynsford and thereabouts and Kentish daytrips in general

I find it difficult to offer an alternative to Eynsford in the sense that it implies that Eynsford is in some way inferior to the alternative. If Eynsford 'ticks the boxes' in terms of being within your limits for journey time, price, service frequency and whatever other factors you're throwing into the equation, why not go for it? One nearby attraction in the area that you have omitted is Castle Farm, noted for its hops and lavender, although your trip will need to be well-timed to see the latter at its best. The concept of the World Garden is interesting but as we visited free of charge I can't really say if it is worth it, if you mean in context of any admission charges. St Botolph's church is the parish church for Lullingstone and adjacent to the castle itself and the World Garden; it is not uninteresting. A walk through to Shoreham has already been mentioned and this would take you from Lullingstone Castle to Lullingstone Park Visitor Centre (drop the word 'country' and you should find easily enough on Google Maps). I don't know if it's a big dog walking area, or where the boundaries of the country park lie (as opposed to the area's open countryside) or the relevance of the question. In this area, there is a golf course at Beechen Wood: Austin Lodge golf course lies to the east of the A225, in a valley and accessed by climbing some steep (for this part of the world) slopes. Note that Eynsford station lies to the south of the village, so for amenities like pubs and teashops, you would need to back-track or continue to Shoreham.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Eynsford and thereabouts and Kentish daytrips in general

Thanks for replies. I'll definitely plan a walk to somewhere. I can even go back direct to Otford another time and take a walk from there. Definitely planning to go to Eynsford. Just trying to think of other places to go to as well. I live in London, so I'm always looking for new things to do in and just outside London. Suggestions of anywhere that is on a train route welcome!

Rye noted for a future occasion. Thanks.

6. Re: Eynsford and thereabouts and Kentish daytrips in general

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2014, 06:16