We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adapter / Converter Needed?

The South (of the...
Level Contributor
463 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Adapter / Converter Needed?

Ok =

Do most hotels/B*Bs in the UK have them provided?

Need one (or 2!) to plug in:


Digital Videocam Charge


Do I need more than one TYPE of converter? I have NO Clue! Thanks.

London / Brisbane
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Adapter / Converter Needed?

I would think proper hotels would have converters but not sure about B & B's. One thing that I have done when travelling is that I take along with me a power board so that I can plug all of my things into it and then I only need the one converter.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,800 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adapter / Converter Needed?

I've never heard of them providing them, but then I've never needed to ask. Why dont you call your hotel.

We adventurous brits frequently need adapters when popping across the channel or the big pond, and its easy to pick one up with the groceries at the supermarket. Hey they don't cost much so why not get one anyway, that way you can use it again and again.

If you find yourself here without the necessary converter then Boots is the place to visit (and possibly Tesco) as I think they sell converters for visitors as well as us brits venturing abroad.

Perhaps someone could confirm whether a regular adapter is good for all of the above. I think that the cell and the videocam already have some kind of transformer attached, so maybe it will be ok.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,007 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adapter / Converter Needed?

If your cellphone/blackberry/videocam chargers are less than 20 watts then the shaver sockets in hotel bathrooms are usualy dual-voltage. The videocam charger may be more. The chargers may also be dual-voltage; check the labels.

"Visitor to the UK adapters" are available everywhere (large supermarkets, Argos, Boots, department stores that sell travel goods) ; not all those sold in the US comply with British safety regulations, so better to buy here. Transformers are fairly widely available - try maplin.co.uk

Don't bother with the hairdryer; a transformer will be large, heavy, expensive. Hotels and most B&Bs will provide, or be able to lend you, a hairdryer.

London, United...
Level Contributor
981 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Adapter / Converter Needed?

Unfortunately "The South" as your location does not provide much help at all in answering questions like yours. The South of where ? England ? , France ? Africa ?.

This question is asked many times on these forums and a search will bring up quite a list - here is a link to one of the more recent ones, :-


One thing you should note is that in common with most of Europe England uses 230/240 volts - so if you are from a country which uses a different voltage you will need a mechanical converter to fit our three flat pin sockets AND an electrical converter to change our voltage to yours - these can often be obtained as one unit.

As to whether the actual hotel you are staying at has free ones - phone/e-mail them and ask.

Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Adapter / Converter Needed?

Cat ~ first, look on the cell, blackberry, and video cam plugs as some of them say dual voltage 110/220 or automatic adapter 110/220. If so, you only need the 3 prong plug NOT a converter unit. Pick up a travel hairdryer that has the 110 or 220 option, then all you need is a 3 prong UK plug (pick them up at Walmart).If the electronics do not have auto adapters, then buy a converter/plug unit (again, you can get them at Walmart). The power strip is a great idea, then you only need one converter.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
966 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adapter / Converter Needed?

Hey, Cat,

I just returned from England and for the most part we stayed in B&Bs. Most of the B&Bs did not have converters or adaptors, but the hotels did. We took a converter and one adaptor and that worked for our cells, IPod and digital camera. All the B&B's and hotels we stayed in, except for one, provided hairdryers. Check out www.magellans.com which will guide you through the converter/adaptor selection process.