We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon Tea

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Afternoon Tea

Can anyone suggest a great place for afternoon tea? Last year I went to Harrods Georgian room as a last minute thing. While I enjoyed the service itself I did wish there was a bit more atmosphere. I'm trying to decide if I can justify the cost of some of the more expensive tea rooms so if anyone can share their impressions, that would be excellent. Also I am traveling with a picky eater this year. Is it considered acceptable for one person to order a tiered afternoon tea service and the other to order something a la carte?

Portskewett, United...
Level Contributor
835 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Afternoon Tea

I went to the Grtosvensor House Hotel earlier this year and that was very nice. There's a pianist playing which gives a nice atmosphere and whilst we had the afternoon tea I did notice that we could have had other things individually and light meals. If I recall the afternoon tea was £34.50 per person.

Last year we had afternoon tea at the Lanesborough which was really nice but I can't remember if there were other options on the menu I am sorry.

Hope that helps

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Afternoon Tea

My companion will not be bringing a suit with. Is smart casual acceptable at both of these? Thank you for your help.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Afternoon Tea

Check out all the options on www.afternoontea.co.uk They regularly have discount offers and include the more expensive and cheaper options.

Yours is a popular question that is asked regularly. Use the search function and sort by date to get the more recent entries. If you want a view along with your tea try the Portrait Gallery restaurant at the National Portrait Gallery or the restaurant at the top of the Tate Modern. Prices are not top-end for tea.

As for dress, just refer to the actual hotel/venue website for guidance.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,909 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Afternoon Tea

Perhaps go somewhere more brasserie like. The Wolseley is informal (smart casual dress) where one could order AT, another could order a la carte from a drink to a full blown meal. And at about £22 a relative bargain.

http://www.thewolseley.com/

I've also had tea at One Aldwych in the lobby bar which is quieter and relaxed but very chic; again you can order different things,from the bar menu (about £26 for AT).

http://www.onealdwych.com/home.aspx

The trouble with some of the grand (old) hotel teas is that you would be expected to order for 2 and the prices can be rather high.

Edited: 04 June 2013, 16:31
London, United...
Level Contributor
9,599 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Afternoon Tea

Some of the grand hotels offer quite generous replenishment of both food and drink- I think that is a situation where only ordering one AT might be frowned on.

Portskewett, United...
Level Contributor
835 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Afternoon Tea

At both of the places I mentioned above people wore all sorts - my husband just wore a pair of chinos and a short sleeved shirt but we saw people with jeans on as well as posh suits - so the whole range!!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Afternoon Tea

With your companion who is the picky eater mentioned in another thread then I would go for a less formal venue for afternoon tea or forget it altogether.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Afternoon Tea

Another vote for the Wolseley, good atmosphere with a good choice of cakes and sandwiches and you can go there casually dressed.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
364 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Afternoon Tea

I had tea at the Ritz which while lovely was an overly orchestrated event. The food and tea were not memorable. We also had tea at the Corinthia Hotel which was an impromptu decision as we were staying there. The food and tea were much better (IMHO) and the service while different was equally on par.

Deal, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
26 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Afternoon Tea

Hi!

Maybe take a look at Chancery Court? Their afternoon tea includes a patisserie buffet :)

Review with photos here~ chocablog.com/features/…

Edited: 08 June 2013, 18:29