We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another cell phone ? (sorry!)

bay area, california
Level Contributor
51 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Another cell phone ? (sorry!)

I have read lots of posts on this but need to verify this one part.

I will be going to UK with my kids & my husband will be staying home. I know we will want to keep in touch with him while we travel.

I have already bought an international calling plan for him to call the UK & vice versa.

We are being loaned a UK mobile phone from friends we are staying with in the UK. He has advised we will just need to buy a sim from O2 to use. We will use this to call & text UK numbers. BUT - do you know if the mobile phone we are borrowing will be good for us to use in accepting international calls from my husband calling it using the calling plan we have? Or will the UK mobile sim not accept out of UK calls or will it be a really high price & use up our minutes really fast?

We will also be using my US iphone & will plan on buying a texting plan ($10 for 50 messages so reasonable) & using skype when we are in a place with wifi but will be good to have a phone call avail if my husband wants to call us sometimes.

Thanks so much!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,358 Reviews
from US$131.10*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,128 Reviews
from US$139.80*
US$155.40
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
515 Reviews
from US$118.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$349.20*
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another cell phone ? (sorry!)

A phone with a UK SIM wont care or distinguish between incoming calls from the UK, the USA or Mars. Also, incoming calls, again from anywhere, doesn't matter, and unlike the USA, do not cost anything at all to the called party (as long as its a UK SIM in the UK which is what you'll have). The caller pays.

bay area, california
Level Contributor
51 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another cell phone ? (sorry!)

That is GREAT news! Thank you so much!!

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another cell phone ? (sorry!)

If it isn't too cheeky you could ask if your iPhone is "locked to O2"? I think you should be able to pick up a Pay As You Go Sim with a bit of data allowance for £10.

bay area, california
Level Contributor
51 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another cell phone ? (sorry!)

I'm pretty sure my iphone is locked to AT&T. Not too keen on jailbreaking it as I've heard of problems. So altho it would be great I don't think I can get the data...would have been nice tho & I will definitely ask when I am there...but don't want to plan on it. Thanks!

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,920 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another cell phone ? (sorry!)

UK (and generally, Europe) mobiles are calling party pays, so incoming calls are free to the mobile phone user.

However they cost more to call from a landline so just check that US>UKmobile calls are included in your calling plan. UK mobile/personal numbers all start 07 to make them easy to identify.

50c/p a text sounds rather expensive. With O2 International you'd pay 4p/min and 10p/text to the USA

http://www.o2.co.uk/international/intsim (Other packages are available.)

Ask your friend to pick up a free SIM from an 02 shop before you arrive and then you'll know the UK number you'll have.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
bay area, california
Level Contributor
51 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another cell phone ? (sorry!)

Thanks for your additional info Bob...I will look into!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
570 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another cell phone ? (sorry!)

You can call and ask AT&T to unlock the phone as long as your account is not newly opened and in good standing (one year, I think) and purchase a sim once you arrive.

bay area, california
Level Contributor
51 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another cell phone ? (sorry!)

Thank you very much. I ended up calling AT&T and finding out I could unlock my phone and have now done that. Yeah! I ready somewhere else about the Lebara SIM card for 29 pounds I get unlimited uk and us calls and texts and 1GB data. It sounds like a good plan for me.

O2 I could not find. Plan that would work as above with calls and texts and data incl calls to US.

Does the Lebara sound good? Thank you!

9. Re: Another cell phone ? (sorry!)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2014, 05:16