We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 for 1 available to us?

bay area, california
Level Contributor
48 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
2 for 1 available to us?

Hi there,

We will be arriving in London from heathrow on Aug 1. On Aug 2 we will be travelling by train to Northern England. We will then be renting a car & travelling around UK until returning it on Aug 17. We will then be taking a train from Salisbury to London on Aug 17. Staying in London for a few days before flying home thru heathrow on aug 21.

My question is can we use the 2 for 1 to visit attractions with our rail tickets while we are in London 8/17-8/21? From what I understand the answer is no as altho we have a train ticket there & can use it for visiting attractions on 8/17 we can't use it any more days as we don't have a return ticket...but i want to confirm. If we can't do this does anyone have an idea for us?

Places we want to visit that we can use the 2 for 1 are:

Tower of London

St Pauls Cathedral

Tower Br

London Br

Possibly London Zoo

We are a family of 4

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,726 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 for 1 available to us?

The Tower isn't on the 241 in August anyway; Tower Bridge is free to look at (and arguably not worth visiting the Exhibition unless you have a thing about hydraulics). London Bridge isn't an attraction and the zoo - honestly I would leave out. Even the Aquarium is a better use of time and money (calming).

You could get paper travelcards from a rail station such as Waterloo when you come in from Salisbury though. These are for all London transport but are eligible for the offers - if there are any you wish to use.

bay area, california
Level Contributor
48 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 for 1 available to us?

I'm sorry but I don't understand your answer. Can you re-explain?

"You could get paper travelcards from a rail station such as Waterloo when you come in from Salisbury though. These are for all London transport but are eligible for the offers - if there are any you wish to use."

And I just checked the 2 for 1 website & it shows the Tower of London is available thru October 31. Are you sure it's not avail in August?

Thanks for any help!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,634 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 for 1 available to us?

You need paper Travelcards (or rail tickets for travel *to* London valid on a day you wish to use the offers) bought at a National Rail ticket office to use the two for one offers.

You may buy one day cards or a seven day card (£7.30 for one day off peak cards or £30.40 for a seven day card with no time of day constraints) and use those Travelcards for the offers every day of your London stay.

The Tower isn't available for two for one offers on the dates shown here: http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/tower-of-london

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,627 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 for 1 available to us?

Paper one and seven day travelcards - if bought at a national rail station - are eligible for 241. They allow all public transport within the paid for zones. The travelcards must be on rail ticket stock to be valid for 241 - …wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/42/London…

As regards the Towwr, it is on 241 through October 31, but with the exception "2FOR1 not valid Mon 15 July - Sunday 8 September 2013."

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/tower-of-london

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,726 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 for 1 available to us?

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/tower-of-london

The Tower is not on the 241 between July 15 and 8 September (school holidays here roughly) as it states clearly.

For the 241's you need an eligible ticket; either a rail ticket to London OR a travelcard - 1 or 7 day - which can be used on London transport, buses tubes etc. You must purchase these from a national rail station. You are correct, your one way ticket from Salisbury is only valid on the day you are travelling since it's a single but you can buy the correct kind of travelcard at Waterloo, the station you will arrive at in London for your subsequent travel round London. This is all explained on the 241 link to the top right of this page:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186338-c195600/Lon…

bay area, california
Level Contributor
48 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 for 1 available to us?

You are all right, looked more closely & see the exclusion dates you mentioned. Thank you for that!

So we can get a travelcard for our use of transportation while we are in London which will cover the 241 activities we want to do.

Our friend is loaning us his oyster cards tho...which we will be topping off...and I thought these were what we were going to use while in London. Is the oyster different from a travelcard? Should we not use the oyster & instead get a travel card?

Sorry if I sound so clueless! I have been researching for months but it is just all so confusing still to me!

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 for 1 available to us?

Main difference is that Oyster whether PAYG or with a travelcard loaded does not give you 2 for 1

So it's only worth you using the Oysters on days when you don't need 2 for 1 - buy travelcards on the days that you do.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,726 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 for 1 available to us?

I think the second link I posted earlier explains but in essence, anything on Oyster is NOT eligible for the 2for1 which is a national rail promotion, so you need a ticket - whether rail or travelcard - issued by NR, not TFL, London's transport authority which sells ticketing on Oysters. In your case since there may not be many you wish to do and because you can use Oystercards (you need one per adult btw), you can use a combination. Your rail ticket will be valid for your arrival day; the other days you can get 1 day travelcards and/or use Oyster pay as you go (PAYG) depending how many of the 2for1 offers you are interested in.

Edited: 04 June 2013, 22:50
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 for 1 available to us?

You can get a one day travelcard/rail ticket combo from Salisbury to London - which would cover your travel for the rest of the day after you arrive at Waterloo and be valid for 2 for 1 that day

Whether it's worth it depends on your time of travel (it might still be cheaper to buy a separate travelcard or use Oyster once you get to London) and how much travel in London you are actually doing that day.

If there are 4 of you ask at Salisbury about Groupsave - you will travel (off peak)for the price of two tickets

Edited: 04 June 2013, 23:06
10. Re: 2 for 1 available to us?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2014, 06:17