We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Tube From Heathrow

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gardendale, Alabama
Level Contributor
73 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
The Tube From Heathrow

I need your help, please! We are flying into Heathrow in September. We are renting a car and going to Canterbury, Dover, Arundel, Salisbury, and Bath for a few days before proceeding to London. My question is, when we return the car to Heathrow, do we go inside the airport to get to the tube for our travel to London or do we have to go through security? I was just worried that we wouldn't have a boarding pass. As you may have guessed, this is our first trip to the UK and we are trying NOT to have any mishaps! Also, we will be going to the Paddington Station. Thanks in advance for your help!

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Tube From Heathrow

You go into the airport to get to the Tube but you certainly do not have to go through security to get to the Tube. If the Tube was that side of security people could just jump on the Tube to avoid customs and immigration:o)

I am not sure where Paddington Station comes into it. I hope you are not confusing the Tube with the (expensive) Heathrow Express.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Tube From Heathrow

You do not go through security to get to the tube station from dropping the car.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,648 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Tube From Heathrow

For the safety of yourselves and other road users why not start in London then pick up the car when you have recovered from the jet-lag.

But there's nothing in your itinerary that requires a car

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,200 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Tube From Heathrow

No you won't have to go airside and reclear security. You'll be transported back to the terminal (go to T5 or T4 for a more convenient transfer to the tube) and be dropped off at the entrance to Departures.

For the tube to Paddington, the easiest route requires two changes (though very easy). Piccadilly line to Hammersmith, where you get off and walk about 10 yards to the other side of the island platform. Take a District line 3 stops to Earls Court, where you wait on the island platform for another train posted as Edgware Road. Paddington is a further 4 stops and the exit (into the National Rail station) is step free with only a short escalator.

All that said, please let us know the day/date you'll be making this journey, as if it's a weekend there may be engineering works (line closures) that throw a spanner into the above route, and we may need to suggest an alternative.

An alternative (more expensive, less frequent, but perhaps more convenient) is to take the Heathrow Connect (not Express) direct to Paddington. That means going to either T1 or T3 (T3 is probably better for the station and tickets). But that train runs only half hourly so you could have a long wait, but no changes are required for Paddington.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Tube From Heathrow

or do we have to go through security? I was just worried that we wouldn't have a boarding pass.

=======

You don't need a boarding pass to go to London !!! :-)

Where exactly are you going, as Paddington is a bit of a faff from Heathrow by tube and there may be a better route by tube.

Gardendale, Alabama
Level Contributor
73 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Tube From Heathrow

Thank you very much to all of you who have tried to help!

Iggyfitz, I was just letting you know which station our hotel is closer to. We are actually right across the street from Lancaster Gate Tube Stop.

dzug1, thank you for answering my question about security.

alanrow, fortunately, my husband and I never have jet lag. We have been to Europe several times. We sleep on the plane with the help of Prince Valium. lol We need a car south of London because we will be exploring. If we see something that we want to stop and see, we enjoy being able to do that. Thank you so much for your suggestion!

USBusinessTraveler, thank you for the directions! This will be very useful! The Heathrow Connect may be the way to go for us!

joeintheuk, thank you so much, we will be going to the Lancaster Gate Tube Stop.

If you guys can come up with the best way to get to Lancaster Gate Tube Stop, I would appreciate it!

Gardendale, Alabama
Level Contributor
73 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Tube From Heathrow

I forgot to tell you that we will be returning the car on a Thursday at about 10:00 am.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,313 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Tube From Heathrow

The transfer from Paddington to the central line (for Lancaster Gate) is best done on foot because the tube connections are poor. In your shoes, I would take the Piccadilly line from Heathrow to Holborn and change there to the central line for Lancaster Gate. This does involve an escalator and short flight of stairs (down), so depends on how much luggage you will have.

Gardendale, Alabama
Level Contributor
73 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Tube From Heathrow

rbgs, thank you so much! You guys are all so helpful!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,599 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Tube From Heathrow

If you want to avoid making a change on the Underground and enjoy a step free journey, take the Piccadilly line to Hyde Park Corner. Alight, take the escalator up to the ticket hall then the ramp up to street level at exit 1 Knightsbridge north side. Once at street level, hail a taxi for the short journey to your hotel near Lancaster Gate station.