We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner near London Eye

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Market, Maryland
Level Contributor
653 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner near London Eye

We are going to the eye on Friday nite and looking to book somewhere for dinner. Not picky on type of cuisine as we have been on vacation nearly a week and have tried a good variety. Price is not really an issue but would like to stay close to $100 pounds for two if possible . Looking for a good atmosphere and good food. Also want to pop in for a drink at Gordon's wine bar that evening but it does not matter if restaurant is really close by as we don't mind walking but would like to keep it under 2 miles from eye or Gordon's. thanks!

Level Contributor
2,806 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner near London Eye

Several American visitors have mentioned Gordon's Wine Bar - what's the deal with it?

There's a nice restaurant called Skylon at the Royal Festival Hall, which is near the London Eye. Plus there's a Canteen (nice British chain restaurant) round the back. Also Giraffe, Strada and a couple of others (Chinese & Brazilian I think) round about the Festival Hall, South Bank, Hungerford Bridge area. Nice spot for eating and people watching.

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner near London Eye

Good going dipping into Gordon's, love that place!

£100 is a sizeable budget for two.

Having eaten there a week or two ago I'd recommend Les Deux Salons which is a lovely French brasserie on William IV Street just opposite Charing Cross station (i.e. 2 mins walk if not less!).

It's then a 4-5 minute stroll straight down to Gordons for a perfect pit-stop en route to the Eye (an 8 minute saunter over Hungerford Brige). My review of Deux Salons below:

"We (3 guys, late 20s) visited Les Deux Salons on Saturday 27th April 2013 with an 8pm reservation. The restaurant was busy with a good atmosphere/buzz but not unduly loud (we were sat on the upper level). One of our guests was running late but we were put under no pressure by the serving staff who took our orders promptly after the arrival of our final guest. Service throughout the evening was perfectly efficient, albeit not the most attentive I've experienced.

Starters of foie gras (a little bland) and steak tartare (delicious, though I prefer it without the raw egg yolk on top) were followed by melt in your mouth calf's liver with possibly the nicest bacon I've ever eaten. Sides of fries and creamed spinach were both done well and served in time with the mains. For pudding we had profiteroles and Paris Brest which the restaurant even provided an extra pot of chocolate sauce for, on the house!

Add in 2 bottles of reasonably priced quafable red wine, plus bread and water for the table, and the entire meal came to c.£45 per person. Perfectly reasonable and we didn't feel remotely 'ripped off' or having paid a tourist premium.

Would recommend and return. "

Level Contributor
2,806 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner near London Eye

From Rick Steves:

"Two blocks from Trafalgar Square is Gordon's Wine Bar. It's a candlelit respite from the crush of work-a-day London where travelers in the know sip wine with the nine-to-five crowd.

A piece of salmon, salad bar and a good glass of wine — that's my kind of fast food. A meal here costs little more than a hamburger or pizza. The decor compliments the wine..."

Followed a hunch: is this why Gordon's Wine Bar keeps getting mentions? I think I went there once. It's -- just a wine bar. I don't think it's worth a special journey although others may disagree.

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner near London Eye

I would definitely not class it as 'just a wine bar'.

It's a very old traditional wine bar, with great port selection in particular, housed in an underground cave with seating areas in encaged original brick-lined pavement vaults but also with a very large outside area at the upper level for al fresco supping!

They do a great cheese selection, with accompanying bread and salad/pickle bar for inexpensive 'create your own' ploughmans - a British classic.

5. Re: Dinner near London Eye

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2014, 06:18