We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any popular attractions that do not allow backpacks?

3 posts
Save Topic
Any popular attractions that do not allow backpacks?

I will be in London for three days next week and have a rough itinerary planned out. However, one thing I've been wondering about is whether or not there are attractions in London that require backpacks to be left at the door. I will be carrying an expensive DSLR camera so I would not be comfortable leaving my bag in any bag checks.

I know about Harrod's already and I would like to know if there are any other notable places with such rules. In particular I am wondering about the following:

- Tower Bridge Exhibition

- The Barbican (for a London Symphony Orchestra performance)

- British Museum

Any information would be greatly appreciated so I know what I should lock up in the hotel. Thank you in advance!

Edited: 07 June 2013, 06:15
Byen
Level Contributor
579 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Any popular attractions that do not allow backpacks?

You can't take backpacks to any major museum and of course not to a concert venue or a theatre. Leave your expensive camera at home if it's such a big issue.

Edited: 07 June 2013, 06:30
Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any popular attractions that do not allow backpacks?

Frank I'm not sure wether that is true. As far as I can remember the only place where I was asked to put my backpack away was the Wallace Collection, thankfully I had a small shoulderbag with me in which I could fit my camera.

However if you should be asked I felt fine with taking my bags to the cloakroom, it seemed like my things where well looked after. actually I prefer putting my bags/coat in the cloakroom.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any popular attractions that do not allow backpacks?

Hi

I was in London last weekend and everyone seems to have a back pack or some kind of bag with them ,I went in lots of attractions and it wasn't a problem ;-) you May be asked to show the content of your back pack on entry ,i was asked at the natural history museum ;-)

Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any popular attractions that do not allow backpacks?

As far as I remember, the only place that has ever "obliged" us to leave bags and backpacks in the bag check, was Sir John Soane's House, and rightly so because of the too cramped passages. Most other museums offer guarded bag checks as an often very welcome option. So except for maybe pointing out when photography is not allowed, I wouldn't expect them to refuse you to bring along a camera bag. Happy travels!

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,063 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any popular attractions that do not allow backpacks?

I use a small daypack most days. I've certainly taken it into the British Museum on a number if occasions, however, I believe the Royal Academy has a ruling about larger bags.

Hayes, England...
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any popular attractions that do not allow backpacks?

I also need this information from a long time.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
794 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any popular attractions that do not allow backpacks?

Took a backpack into the Tower of London last month, no problems, bag was checked at security on way in.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any popular attractions that do not allow backpacks?

Some attractions will ask that you leave large backpacks in a cloakroom; others will let you take them in but may ask that you carry them in your hand rather than on your back to avoid scraping against walls and knocking into things when you turn around.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,113 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any popular attractions that do not allow backpacks?

I've seen people lugging large suitcases around the Tower of London, so they are obviously quite lax about the size of items one can bring in, although they do search your bag on entry though.

The BM have a standard size limit of 40x40x50cm, but the limits for exhibitions may be different.

Most of these places have cloakrooms where you can leave your stuff anyway.

With the concert the limit will probably be the size you can physically fit with you while you are seated, which won't be that big.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,527 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Any popular attractions that do not allow backpacks?

I wish people would take their packs - even daypacks - off once they are indoors. Most have no idea how much the bag (yes even small ones) sticks out and so they act like a bull in a china shop.