We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pssportvaliditya

Amritsar, India
1 post
Save Topic
pssportvaliditya

i am leaving for london on 28 june .my passport expires on21 dec 2013. can i travel or i have to get my passport renewed?

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pssportvaliditya

If you are an Indian national, you probably need a visa to visit the United Kingdom. If you have already been granted a visa, it will be in your passport, and the UK Border Agency must have accepted that your passport is valid long enough for your stay in the UK.

…homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/…

If you need a visa, and have not yet applied for it, you have very little time to get one.

…homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/…

http://www.vfs-uk-in.com/

www.vfs-uk-in.com/applicationcentre.html

www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/countries/india/…

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,169 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pssportvaliditya

You might want to check with the airline flying you to the UK. Some airlines require your passport to be valid for 6 months from the date you fly in case you are refused entry and they need to fly you home. However, if you have a valid visa in your passport, that will probably satisfy them.

The airline will want to confirm that you have your visa.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,859 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pssportvaliditya

It might help if you actually want an answer to your question if you

a) mentioned what nationality you were

b) said please and thank you like your dear momma would have expected you to.

UK
Level Contributor
6,757 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pssportvaliditya

"Some airlines require your passport to be valid for 6 months from the date you fly in case you are refused entry"

If the destination country does NOT require passports to be valid six months (and most countries don't), and an airline denies boarding because the passenger's passport is valid less than six months, then the passenger would almost definitely be entitled to Denied Boarding Compensation.

There is no six months requirement in the UK. However, if the OP is an Indian national (which seems likely) they will need a visa.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pssportvaliditya

If you have been issued a visa then the passport is valid.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pssportvaliditya

If the destination country does NOT require passports to be valid six months (and most countries don't), and an airline denies boarding because the passenger's passport is valid less than six months, then the passenger would almost definitely be entitled to Denied Boarding Compensation.

------

Incorrect as long as the airlines Ts&Cs state the 6month rule, which it almost certainly will somewhere. And in most cases, not much consolation if you missed a holiday , wedding or other important event .

7. Re: pssportvaliditya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2014, 06:16