We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tripping up to Golders Green

Boston...
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tripping up to Golders Green

My traveling companion wants to go up to Golders Green to take in the black hat atmosphere. Are the shops and restaurants pretty much shut down on Saturday?

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,590 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tripping up to Golders Green

No definitely not shut on Saturday. In fact should be very busy with people out shopping and stopping in cafes. The main street is to your right after you exit the tube station or bus station ( the large bus station is infront of the tube station)

Edited: 07 June 2013, 23:08
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,463 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tripping up to Golders Green

The *Jewish* shops and restaurants will indeed be shut. But even though Golders Green has one of the highest concentrations of Jews in the UK, there are lots of non-Jews living there too, so the shops and restaurants not operated by/catering to Jews will be open as usual.

Boston...
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tripping up to Golders Green

Thanks very much for the info about Golders Green. Sounds like it's more of a mixed neighborhood than I thought. Should make for an interesting morning.

London
Level Contributor
840 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tripping up to Golders Green

If I understand you correctly, I think you really want Stamford Hill. That's where Europe's largest Hasidic community is based.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stamford_Hill

London
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tripping up to Golders Green

Does your friend also know about the Jewish museum? (More info needed about yr friend..)

Boston...
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tripping up to Golders Green

I have a copy of Jewish London. There's a lot to see so it becomes a matter of sifting through. I know Rachel Kolsky offers a guided tour: that may be more informative and a better use of time than going up to Golders Green. We actually have black hats in Los Angeles, but we do not have anything related to kindertransport. I just read about the Holocaust Exhibition at the Imperial War Museum. Visiting Dachau was enough for me. We'll pass on the Exhibition.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,078 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tripping up to Golders Green

There is a statue commemorating the Kindertransport just outside one of the entrances to Liverpool Street Station.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,463 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tripping up to Golders Green

Stamford Hill has the largest Haredi (Jewish ultra-orthodox) community in Europe, but the area is still more mixed than the equivalent neighbourhoods of LA/NYC and there will be plenty of shops in Stamford Hill open on a Saturday, just not the Jewish ones. Stamford Hill has a poor selection of restaurants, kosher or otherwise.

Boston...
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tripping up to Golders Green

Yes, I've read about it and seen a picture. The most interesting and surprising people were involved with the program within UK. And not just the families who agreed to take the kids, but the people who conceived of the program in the first place. Quite imaginative.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,590 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tripping up to Golders Green

Sorry I was thinking you meant are shops allowed to open on Saturday rather than not opening for religious reasons.

I actually went through Golders Green at lunchtime today and made a note of what was open. Many of the shops/cafes and restaurants at the top of the high street in golders green were shut but the other end had many places fully open and busy (nearest the bus/tube station). There were many Jewish families out when I passed but on looked like they were on way back from prayers.