We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to Paris from London

Long Island City...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
day trip to Paris from London

We are traveling to London in November and my daughter would like to do a day trip to Paris. The Eurostar will run me around $600 (5 people) for just train tickets and then we have to navigate our way around Paris, not speaking ANY French. A guided tour is pricey, but is it worth it to spend the money for just one day in Paris?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip to Paris from London

If this is your first visit to London, I wouldn't do it if you have a week or less in London. There is so much to see and do around town that I would hesitate to spend that much money, IMO. If however, you've have been to London before and just want a brief overview of Paris then perhaps I would do it if you had the money.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,513 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip to Paris from London

I can understand your reluctance to pay for five people for a day trip to Paris. Could not one of you go with your daughter, with maybe a special (but not so expensive) treat for the others? Either way, you really have to want to go to make it worthwhile.

Don't let the language issue put you off, as most people get on fine however much or little French they speak. Getting around can be fairly cheap, as you can buy a carnet or two (that's a bundle of ten individual metro tickets at a reduced rate per ticket) that can be shared out. Buy a guidebook which will give you the basics including a metro map.

One thing I would advise is not to waste time and money going up the Eiffel Tower (though you can certainly go and look at it), and the same goes for the Louvre (the art galleries and museums are free in London so get your museum fix there). On a one day visit you should take in Paris in an unrushed way. Save the time-consuming things for a longer visit.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip to Paris from London

Some people do a day trip to Paris and I don't knock that but it is worth more time in my opinion.

Sorry but the cost in dollars means nothing to me at all so whether the train tickets are expensive or not I don't know.

A tip for posting on a British or European forum is speak to us in our currency rather than yours then you might fare better with advice and suggestions.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip to Paris from London

If that's a total price for all of you it's cheap enough

If it's each it's far too much

Edited: 09 June 2013, 01:37
Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip to Paris from London

Bev, I don't ask people to do that I just get quickly on a bookmarked web-site and convert it so I can be more helpful to them it can be to confusing for some people so I'm happy to do it for them.

Collie

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip to Paris from London

I agree that if this is your first trip to London you should spend your time in and round London. There is just so much to see and do there and there are places you can go just outside of London for diversity. Having said that, if everyone in your group wants to do this and are excited about it then give it a try. If not everyone is so excited I agree with 1 adult just taking your daughter and leave the others to do what they want in London. Not speaking French is not a problem.

I do love Paris & London.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,513 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trip to Paris from London

Large organisations like Eurostar, which have separate sites for some countries, will often quote their prices in the currency of that country. MyDogSpanky was almost certainly simply using the dollar figure given on the Eurostar site. I find it quite difficult to believe that most people on this forum don't know roughly what a dollar is worth, though it might be better to quote in pounds if possible.

Edited: 09 June 2013, 01:55
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: day trip to Paris from London

Collie, if you wish to do that then that is obviously fine.

I just think that posters should quote a currency on any forum which people will understand and shows courtesy.

I certainly am not going to sit here converting currencies much as I could do but that is just me.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
796 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: day trip to Paris from London

I recently did a day trip cost was £69 return so the prices you quote are around the cheaper end for 5. We didn't really get to do too much, it was too rushed. I had used the 'hop on hop off' bus a few years ago and found it to be very slow as sometimes had a long wait for the next bus. This time we decided to use the 'Batobus' on the river from Notre Dame - big mistake. It had been raining and the Seine river was flooded in parts, it was a l hour wait, so we ended up walking, got lost, resorted to using the metro, quick visit to walk under the Eiffel Tower, see the outside of the Louvre, from there walked up to the start of the Champs-Elysees, then it was time to return. We also thought we would get a quick bite to eat on the Eurostar but the buffet was out of most items, basically only could get coffee and choc bars.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: day trip to Paris from London

Wansteader, yes I had a rough idea how much the OP was talking about not that I keep a close eye on exchange rates unless I am planning on taking a trip abroad.

So I am not thick and far from it actually.

Would you post a question quoting Sterling on an Overseas forum rather than their currency? At a guess the answer is no.

I just hate it when there is a post quoting dollars for whatever it might relate to on British or European forums so I don't play ball. Hmmm.