We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beer Question

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beer Question

Is Young's bitter real ale or lager? Also do many of the pubs still have Budweiser on draught? I was surprised on my last trip to Ireland that Bud was the 2nd best selling beer on the island, disgusting. Let me know. Poppa

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beer Question

Young's Bitter is a cask, i.e. real ale. It is also available in bottles. Young's Pilsner is the brewery's lager, available on draught in some of its pubs.

I've never noticed whether Bud is available on draught. I have no interest in generic lagers.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beer Question

Read this page www.camra.org.uk/SHWebClass.ASP… especially the paragraph.

It will also help you to understand that calling Young's bitter a lager in the wrong place, could upset people.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Beer Question

Ron W, it's not that I was going to order a Budweiser, I was shocked that it was even on tap in UK pubs. I'm a microbrew fan, at one time brewed my own beer when it was a fad here in the States. Thanks for your response, it'll give me some direction as to what's popular (and good). Poppa

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beer Question

There is a distinct lack of choice over in Ireland when it comes to beer. In Dublin, Cork and Killarney most pubs served stout (Guiness, Murphy or Beamish) and the lager choice was almost always Carlsberg and Budweiser. The ale was usually Caffreys or some "smooth" keg bitter. Pub after pub, it all seemed the same, just an occasional brew pub in Dublin to break the monotony. Somehow Anheiser-Busch has got a great big foothold in the Irish pub market.

Not so in the U.K as the only Bud served there tends to be of the Czech variety.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beer Question

Poppa, if you really like Young's Bitter, you should head over to Wandsworth Town (train from Waterloo). That's where the Ram brewery is. If you want to do a tour, book in advance. But more importantly, there are about a half dozen Young's pubs within a few hundred yards of the brewery. These are all marvellous fairly authentic Victorian pubs, and the beer is about as fresh as it can be.

east end
Level Contributor
60 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beer Question

i drink larger or ale, one thing to look out for is that some beer that is of so called high quality is sold on draught at a premium price, for example hoergarden...probaly the wrng spelling but i was charged 6 quid for a pint of this in london whereas stella in the same place was just over 3 pounds, budweisser from my own experiences in london is not common on tap, the most popular seems to be stella artois, kronenbourg 1664, and carlsberg, fosters. for a good selection of beer and ales at a reasonable price try wetherspoons pubs, i like the abbott ale, and some of the guest ales are good as well. budweisser i do not mind but although its still a premium beer at 5% abv it seems to be a bit too weak and fizzy for what it is

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Beer Question

Ron W-thanks for the heads up, am copyuing your message to my "things to do in London and surroundings list'. Leaving Saturday for 6 nights. I'll report in when I return. Poppa

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,853 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beer Question

Poppa, l'll look after you. For a definition of real ale check out CAMRA's website www.camra.org.uk If you see a handpump in a pub it means that it serves real ale. It has been brewed naturally without preservaties and all the other nasty gassy things that are put in keg beer.

Youngs (and Fullers, that other great London brewery) are medium sized breweries who also own several (over 100) pubs. They produced some great beers. In the 1960's keg beer from the national brewers came along with it's massive advertising spend, quickly followed by lagers with silly foreign sounding names that were actually made in Northampton and Reading. Sadly the public fell for this nonsense. Youngs & Fullers and others were forced to follow suit and introduced their own lagers (or had it made for them under licensce) but whilst some breweries went under or sold up Fullers and Youngs continued with the support of CAMRA to brew great beer.

Microsbreweries still come on stream with amazing regularity but only a few survive and prosper such as Oakham and Black Sheep. The power of the now multi-nationals and the big pub chains mean it is hard to source interesting and quaffable

real ales and it is easy for non real ale drinkers to get confused but let me make it clear that Britsih Lager is to most beer fans a revolting fizzy tasteless drink that is barely stronger than lemonade. Proper Budva brewd in the Czech Republic is however another matter.

There ends the history lesson - I'm off for a pint!

Adam C

Colorado
Level Contributor
468 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Beer Question

They brew Budweiser not far from me and Coors even closer. I don't drink either one here and you'd have to hold me down and pour it down my throat to make me drink Bud in England. I do like lager but I like one with some flavor. You have all intrigued me though and I will have to try some ale when in London. Cheers!

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Beer Question

RonW, Adam, Henneth et al, thanks for your learned responses. I'm around 48 hours from leaving for the UK. Just to whet my 'appetite' popped into a local pub run by expatriate Irish folks last night. had a couple of Irish brews, Smithwicks was my choice. Can't wait for Saturday.........leaving on a jet plane............So long. Poppa