We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LHR time to get out of airport report

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
LHR time to get out of airport report

Flight due to arrive this morning at T4 at 9.25. Wheels down at 8.55 (early!). No queue at immigration (UK/EU passports) -- was through in 5 mins tops. This was a false time savings because I then had to wait ages for my luggage. Was on Piccadilly line by 9.45. So, even with short queues at immigration, 1 hour to get out of the airport still seems like a good rule of thumb.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
215 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LHR time to get out of airport report

It took me about an hour to get out of T3 in Sept last year off a Long Haul flight, and about an hour to get out off T1 on Sunday of a short haul flight.

Both times Immigration was really quick, and waiting for baggage reclaim was REALLY slow.

Edited: 10 June 2013, 11:06
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,206 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LHR time to get out of airport report

The reverse seems to be true for non EU passport holders with delays at immigration (T4 particularly bad on Sunday morning) but luggage waiting for them...because no doubt of the earlier delays!

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,013 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LHR time to get out of airport report

The solution is to host the Olympics again! I flew into T5 on the opening day and was out of there, complete with checked bags, 20mins after landing. It was like another planet ( planet efficiency)!

Thanks for reporting. This question is asked a lot. Have you trip the automatic passport check for UK/EU? It's great.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LHR time to get out of airport report

I don't have a machine readable UK passport. In any case, they were closing the automatic gates just as I arrived. That probably added 2 minutes to my wait (for the total of 5) because one of the border agents had to deal with the people who had queued up to use the machines.

And our luggage was so slow that even the non-EU passport holders were waiting around for it!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LHR time to get out of airport report

Daughter on UK passport arrived from JFK into LHR this morning, landed just before 8am and she rang me at 8.05 to say she was off the plane, then at 8.25 to say she had her luggage so a quick transit through passport control etc. Took me almost as long to get from Bath Road to the terminal by car - big problems with M4 and parts of the A4 this morning (one and a half hours from SE London).

Edited: 11 June 2013, 11:42
6. Re: LHR time to get out of airport report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 06:16