We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Berkshire or Redding for Land Rover Experience?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
447 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
London to Berkshire or Redding for Land Rover Experience?

Hi all. I was planning on having my 14 year old son do the off road "Land Rover Experience" package thru "Into the Blue," a company that sets up cool experiences for people of all ages. The Land Rover package is for 14 and up, and since my son is chomping at the bit to begin driving here in California, I thought I'd surprise him on our trip to London this summer by buying one of these packages. I just found out though, (because I didn't really think this thru) that there's no real way of getting to Berkshire from London and to the off road area without a car myself! And I don't plan on renting one there. I wonder if it would be worth hiring a driver to take us out there? I have no idea how far Berkshire is from London, how long it would take to get there and if this is even doable. I also wonder if you have suggestions on cars for hire (with a driver) for this if I do decide to go that route. I welcome your thoughts.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,112 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Berkshire or Redding for Land Rover Experience?

I would train from London Paddington to Reading, and take a cab from there.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Berkshire or Redding for Land Rover Experience?

A prebooked car from London to Reading (note the spelling or you'll go to the wrong place) would cost around (I'm guessing here*) £75 each way, eg £150. Or, two off peak train tickets and a taxi to and from the station might run you £80-100 or so (maybe getting towards £120 if you need to buy peak time tickets.)

I note they currently have a sale on that LR experience, £49 from £119. Pay by credit card in case that means they are about to go bust, thats a big drop.

p.s. Journey time could be very variable, 60 -120 minutes each way once you factor in travel to station, train times,and taxi at other end, or taxi the whole way (possibly in bad traffic).

* from me near Reading to Heathrow, £35-£40, from Heathrow to London, £35-£40.

Edited: 10 June 2013, 17:18
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,112 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Berkshire or Redding for Land Rover Experience?

Joe, I love to agree with you--it is so much less typing.

But where are you getting these train prices?

I am looking at advance purchase for 2 days out for 9:21--£17.60 return (round trip for North Americans). That's a far, far cry from £80-120.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Berkshire or Redding for Land Rover Experience?

But where are you getting these train prices?

I am looking at advance purchase for 2 days out for 9:21--£17.60 return (round trip for North Americans). That's a far, far cry from £80-120.

-------

Are you looking Waterloo to Reading? I was thinking Paddington to Reading which is, IIRC about £25 return. Its painful from Waterloo, takes 3x as long. So that's perhaps £40 for two (one is a child), then another £20 each way on taxi, not sure where it is, I very much doubt its in the centre of Reading. Perhaps the OP can give an address,. so thats a total cost around £80, could be less, eg if taxi is £10 each way then its £60 total, though a tenner won't get you very far from the station. And yes you could save another £15 maybe by taking the exceedingly tedious Waterloo train.

Peak time is much more expensive of course.

Edited: 10 June 2013, 17:59
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,902 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Berkshire or Redding for Land Rover Experience?

The off peak return (for a random weekday next week) is £17.60 from Paddington (departs 09.21).

I would imagine if 2 train fares plus cabs will be less than a hiring a driver all the way, although it might be worth getting a quote for comparison. The driving day is presumably not cheap either.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Berkshire or Redding for Land Rover Experience?

Unless you're particularly fixed on Land-Rover, Mercedes-Benz World do an off-roading experience for u-16s which my son did aged 12 and loved. MB World is only a mile from Weybridge station and I believe there may be a shuttle bus available. Details here

…mercedes-benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/m…

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Berkshire or Redding for Land Rover Experience?

The venue is

The Activity Centre, Sandford Lane, Wokingham. RG10 0SU which you can find with google maps. This is not far from junction 10 of M4, about 30 miles from West London. Where in London are you coming from?

London
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Berkshire or Redding for Land Rover Experience?

Just to ensure that you're not buying something that is different from what you expect, the official "Land Rover Experience" centres are linked to the car company themselves - and they don't have any location in Berkshire. Their list of sites is here:

landrover.com/gb/…

In addition to the official LR centres, there are many other reputable companies providing off road experience days, often using LR vehicles. Just didn't want you to have a mismatched expectation about who you are buying from.

By the way - when I looked at the "Into the Blue" site, my interpretation is that you have to already hold a UK driving licence, so a 14 year old would not get behind the wheel.... Also - the vehicles are likely to be manual transmission - would your lad be OK with that?

Edited: 10 June 2013, 18:15
Reading, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London to Berkshire or Redding for Land Rover Experience?

This is them

http://www.berkshire4x4.co.uk/

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,902 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London to Berkshire or Redding for Land Rover Experience?

Yes the Into the Blue site states that you need a full UK driving licence.

Mercedes Benz has an under-16 driving experience which might be more suitable:

…mercedes-benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/m…