We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail ticket/Travel card/Oyster card

Boston
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Rail ticket/Travel card/Oyster card

I will be visiting London in September. We are a group of 4 adults ( 2 seniors-over 65, two SIGNIFICANTLY under 65 ;-)). We arrive at Heathrow and will be spending 2 nights in London (St James area), will then travel by train to Bath for 2 nights returning to London (same hotel) for the final 3 nights before returning home via Heathrow. I have looked at the transportation options and believe the Tube/rail is the most efficient and economical mode of travel. That being said, the tickets options are a bit confusing for me (zone restrictions, peak vs off-peak, etc). Could anyone simplify this for me. I know there is a 2-4-1 offer for many of the tourist sites if you have the rail ticket and I would like to take advantage of that but I am confused as to wether the rail ticket referred to in the text is the same as the travel card. If I have the 7 day travel card do I need to purchase an additional ticket for the fare to Bath or is that included? Any other helpful hints you have would be appreciated. I think I figured out that the Oyster card is not necessary but would love some local or seasoned London traveller knowledge.

London
Level Contributor
10,205 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rail ticket/Travel card/Oyster card

The Oyster card and Travelcard system operate in the London area. This map shows the zones:

tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/london-rail-and-…

Bath is about 90 miles off to the left hand side of this map. You need separate rail tickets from London to Bath. The 'advance' ticket type for this journey can be very cheap - but has not flexibility.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rail ticket/Travel card/Oyster card

Read this article, and you should have many of your questions answered.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-c195600/Londo…

3. Re: Rail ticket/Travel card/Oyster card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2014, 07:17