We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

location of airports,london

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
perth
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
Save Topic
location of airports,london

Hi to all you knowledgable london forum folks. HELP ! Will be in london for two days at the end of august ( for a wedding ) then will fly to Holland for 3 days. Need to find out where Heathrow, gatwick,luton and stansted airports are in relation to london, and to one another. Will be flying to and from Holland from G or L or S and then have to get from whichever to Heathrow to fly back to Australia. Can't find a map,(using Google ) showing all airports. Anyone got any ideas? silly question, of course someone will be able to help.Thanks. lennyb

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: location of airports,london

Heathrow is 16miles West of Central London. Luton is 30 miles North of CenLon. Stansted is 30 miles NW of CenLon. Gatwick is 25 miles South of CenLon. (London City is 6 miles east of CenLon)

Easiest to get to Heathrow from is Gatwick with coaches running frequently.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,762 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: location of airports,london

It'll be easier when you know which airport you are using - have you tried multimap.com?

Some of the airports are better for getting between than others. Your best bet is usually travelling in to central london and back out to your other airport.

It would be a good idea if there was a site advising you those sort of details though.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: location of airports,london

Refer to you to this earlier post:

tripadvisor.com/…658024

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,430 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: location of airports,london

ajeleonard, which atlas do you have that shows Stansted as 30 miles 'NW' of CenLon" - you mean North & slightly East!!

.....and "Easiest" [to get to Heathrow from is Gatwick with coaches running frequently"] re-word that as the SLOWEST way! whats wrong with the Gatwick Express & Heathrow Express, 30min journey times, the coaches take upto double that, or more in the case of Friday last (9 May) whe the M25 south/west/est was virtually closed for 3-5hours!!

perth
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: location of airports,london

Thanks all. I can't believe how willing everyone is to help. We don't know yet where we will be, in London, so don't know which is the closest, or easiest airport to get to for the flight to Holland. Just know that whichever one it is, we have to get to H'row from it to fly home to Aus. Please explain further, Gatwick Express and Heathrow Express, ( assume it's the train )do they go from G to H and vice versa or into London from one and then to the other . Have located all 4 airports using multimap.com . Travelling is such fun but my little country town is so appealing , when I think of all the buses and trains and planes and people in London. Won't stop me coming,tho. London will be a stop - over, for the wedding after a month in Lucca in Italy.Thanks again. lennyb

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: location of airports,london

Getting directly from one airport to another is a bit of a pain to be honest.

The quickest/easiest option IF there's no problem on the roads is to take the coach between the airports, and this applies to any of them - there are several coaches an hour going between any of the airports and they travel round the M25, London's orbital motorway. However, you do run the risk of traffic problems on the motorway which can cause real difficulty. If you get a clear run then any of them to Heathrow should take not much more than an hour, but if there's a major accident then who knows how long it could take?

So safer is the train, which is more reliable - but this means travelling into Central London. Gatwick Express takes about 30 minutes into Victoria station, then you'd have to allow another hour to get to Heathrow by either method - Piccadilly underground train or underground to Paddington and Heathrow Express from there

It's a similar story from Stansted (Stansted Express goes to Liverpool St station) or Luton (Thameslink trains to King's Cross). the train is also much more expensive - I don't have up to date costs so can't help you there

Frankly the easiest option will be to try and get a flight from Heathrow to Holland. Failing that I don't think it makes much difference which airport you use, Gatwick is the largest so that might be marginally easier in terms of public transport frequency

London
Level Contributor
561 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: location of airports,london

Lennyb: For more info on the Gatwick, Heathrow and Stansted Express, why not have a look at their websites, which are (not surprisingly)

www.gatwickexpress.com

www.heathrowexpress.com

www.stanstedexpress.com

The airports' own websites have more information about other ways of getting to and from Central London

www.heathrowairport.com

www.gatwickairport.com

www.stanstedairport.com

www.london-luton.co.uk

If people took a few moments to check out these resources it would probably eliminate a fair chunk of the enquiries in this forum.

In response to the request for a map showing the locations of the London airports, there's a very basic one at http://www.airport-maps.co.uk/london/ It's not strictly accurate as Luton, Gatwick and Stansted are outside Greater London. But you get the basic idea.

London, England
Level Contributor
51 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: location of airports,london

All of the 'London' airports have coach connections to each other and train links into central London.

For the trains there are a couple of key points to consider:

1. They are not cheap. Check out on the aforementioned web sites to find out how much moving around is going to cost you.

2. You will most likely end up having to use the London Underground system. You will encounter steps, escalators and if you are very fortunate the odd lift. The system was built in the early 1900's - they weren't thinking about people with luggage! Don't get me wrong, you'll manage, but don't expect a porter to run and help. Sympathy from commuters also won't be flooding in.

3. Trains do have a habit of going a bit wrong.

For the Buses:

1. They are cheaper than the trains but you run the risk of getting stuck on one of our lovely motorways - we're getting better but you still need to allow a little extra time, especially at peak hours, for traffic.

My advice - try not to have to move between the airpiorts - if you can fly in and out of the same airport you will save yourself a lot of stress. If you do end up on our lovely train and tube system, enjoy, and please try to move right down inside the carriage and not block the door-ways;)

perth
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: location of airports,london

Many thanks to everyone who replied. I could not have found out as much as I have without your help. I have enough information now to get me where I neeed to go.( P.S. flying out of H'row to Holland certainly would have been the easiest option, but certainly not the cheapest, almost double what I am paying to leave from G or S or L.)

Sorry I didn't check out the resources such as the airports' own sites but I'm really new at this internet stuff, and anyway, nearly everyone has been more than willing to help. I have foung the whole exercise most interesting. Thanking you all again. If any of you ever need info on Australia, especially Western Aus I will be only too happy to assist. lennyb

10. Re: location of airports,london

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 20:21