We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanks to all and a question concerning Britrail passes!

Fort Payne, Alabama
Level Contributor
18 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
Thanks to all and a question concerning Britrail passes!

Thank you all for your help with the travelcard question. I think I will probably go with the 7 day Travelcard just for the convenience as Adam suggested and then purchase the one day Family Travelcards for the other few days we will be there. I think Kew Gardens is the only place we will be visiting outside of zones 1 and 2 so I will just get an extended zone travelcard for that day. Having been to London several times previously, I am familiar with the tube zones and all. I have also checked out the www.tfl.gov.uk website and printed a current tube map.

Now I have a question regarding Britrail Passes. We will be in London for twelve days and then we head to Edinburgh for four days. While in London we will be taking several day trips out by train to Bath, Windsor, Oxford, etc. and we will also be relying on train travel to get from London to Edinburgh and back. It seems as though it is a lot less expensive to get the Britrail Flexi Pass ( 8 days in two months for $579/1st Class, $385/2nd Class per adult and the 13 year old kids travel free ) as opposed to booking point to point tickets. Am I correct on that? Also, is it worth the extra amount to go with the 1st Class ticket? I think the last time I used Britrail Passes, some of the trains did not even have a 1st Class section.

PS womey - My son graduated from Apex High School. We lived in Cary!

Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanks to all and a question concerning Britrail passes!

Hi

I would go with the Britrail Pass, it will save you money, and if you can afford it go for the 1st class option. Inter-City services to the likes of Bath and Edinburgh can be very busy and crowded, so you'll find 1st class far more comfortable, particularly on a four hour journey to Edinburgh. Trust me, I'm a railway conductor. Enjoy your trip.

Tony

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanks to all and a question concerning Britrail passes!

Take a look at this site: nationalrail.co.uk/planmyjourney/…

You can enter in all your train trips, get the cost and figure out if the BritRail pass is worth it. Note that most of the cheaper tickets can only be used after 9:30a.m., from London, but the BritRail Pass can be used at any time.) In the past I've found that the convenience of the BritRail pass is worth it. And you can reserve seats on trains at no extra charge. The site will also show you if first class is available on the trains of your choice.

This year, however, I've turned 60 and can now buy a Seniors' Railcard. So I spent a few hours on the above website and compared the cost of day returns, seniors' railcard fares, and the cost of the BritRail pass. The seniors' discounts won the day. (There are some things great about getting older!)

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanks to all and a question concerning Britrail passes!

Without going to the excellent site mentioned by Bedlace, I am confident that the cost of advance purchase journey tickets for the four places you mention would be under GBP110, or about US$200. You would have to add whatever places you mean when you say "etc.", but, unless there are a great number of them, the total cost will not come close to the $385 for the Britrail pass. You will then have to decide if the convenience of the pass vs the restrictions on the advance purchase tickets is worth the difference.