We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Was going to do oyster but now thinking 7 day travel card?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
104 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Was going to do oyster but now thinking 7 day travel card?

I'll be in London for 5 days and will be arriving via rail from Leeds. At first, I thought we would use the oyster (25-30 lbs) but since we are using the rail, the 7 day would be the same amount plus the 2 for 1 offers. We are definitely seeing Tower of London and St. Paul's, so is travel card worth it in our situation and do the 2for1 offers vary by month.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Leeds
Leeds
West Yorkshire, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,359 Reviews
from US$130.80*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,129 Reviews
from US$139.50*
US$155.00
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
517 Reviews
from US$118.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$348.40*
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,761 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Was going to do oyster but now thinking 7 day travel card?

That's a heavy oyster :-), you should be arriving at Kings Cross station from where you can get the 7 day travelcard from the ticket office. You'll need to bring a passport sized photo for each person for the photocards - printed at home if you wish, doesn't need to be photograph quality.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Was going to do oyster but now thinking 7 day travel card?

Yes - in 5 days you will probably spend a similar amount on PAYG as you would by buying a 7 day travelcard. The major advantage of the travelcard is that it has no peaktime restrictions so you can travel whenever you want without paying any more.

Don't forget that the travelcard must be purchased in a National Rail station to be eligible for 2 for 1s - as you are coming from Leeds you will arrive at King's Cross, so buy the travelcards in the ticket office there before you head to the tube. Bring a passport sized photo as well, which you'll need to get the travelcard made.

There are some seasonal variations in the 2 for 1s - you don't say when you're actually here, but if you check on www.daysoutguide.co.uk it should say if any offers expire or are not valid at certain times (e.g. I think the Tower of London isn't valid during the school summer holidays).

Edited: 12 June 2013, 17:16
Mentioned in this post
Leeds
Leeds
West Yorkshire, UK
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Was going to do oyster but now thinking 7 day travel card?

Well, it seems "i" is probably "we" so since 4 days is the breakeven point at which a travelcard beats PAYG, and you wish to use 241, yes buy a 7 day paper travelcard at a train station (which I think will be Euston where you arrive.)

The 241 offers tend to vary by season not month, so look to see whats on now, I think they change again in September or October.

The only reason not to use it I can think of is, if you are leaving London to go to say Bath by rail after your 5 days, then by having a single train ticket in each direction, they are also good for 241 and then you could use Oyster with PAYG which might be a bit more flexible if you are doing a few trips outside Zones 1-2, say Hampton Court, or a day trip outside where you wont be making much tube travel. But its probably a fine run thing.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Was going to do oyster but now thinking 7 day travel card?

Some of the 2 for 1 offers are seasonal (eg London Eye is not on offer in the summer) but most don't change much.

If you have rail tickets from Leeds <<and back >> they will cover you for 2 for 1 so you could put your travel cards on Oyster - it probably is worth while to get them whether on paper or Oyster

Mentioned in this post
Leeds
Leeds
West Yorkshire, UK
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
104 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Was going to do oyster but now thinking 7 day travel card?

we are not getting a return ticket to Leeds, does that mean we can't use the 241?

Well be in London in early September.

Thanks all for your quick replies.

Mentioned in this post
Leeds
Leeds
West Yorkshire, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Was going to do oyster but now thinking 7 day travel card?

Your single tickets from Leeds to London are valid for 2 for 1s on the date of the ticket. For the rest of the time, if you don't have a train ticket to travel somewhere out of London you will need to buy the paper travelcards at a National Rail station, as above, then you can use the 2 for 1s.

Mentioned in this post
Leeds
Leeds
West Yorkshire, UK
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
104 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Was going to do oyster but now thinking 7 day travel card?

@ owl. Let me make sure I understand: if we purchase a 7 day travel card at kings cross rail (before going into the tube) we get the 241 for 7 days even though we have no return train ticket.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Was going to do oyster but now thinking 7 day travel card?

Let me make sure I understand: if we purchase a 7 day travel card at kings cross rail (before going into the tube) we get the 241 for 7 days even though we have no return train ticket.

========

Correct. Its just that if you had a return train ticket from Leeds that would also have done. You need a return train ticket, and through a loophole, a one or seven day travelcard bought at a railway station also counts as one of those.

Mentioned in this post
Leeds
Leeds
West Yorkshire, UK
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Was going to do oyster but now thinking 7 day travel card?

A 7 day (paper) travelcard IS a return rail ticket

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
104 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Was going to do oyster but now thinking 7 day travel card?

Thanks for the help, will do the 7 day so I can save some pounds on what we were seeing anyway.