We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from London To Lacock and Bath

Liberec, Czech...
Level Contributor
27 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from London To Lacock and Bath

Hello, I'm going to spend 9 days this summer in London and I would like to spend one day on some trip out of London. I would like to visit two cities in one day - Bath and Lacock (in Lacock I would like to visit Lacock abbey). I know there are many many bus trips to these towns, but I have found just those which are just to one of these towns or they are combinated with 2 sometimes 3 more places which you visit in one day and that I find very crazy, in my opinion the day is then very rush, your are running from one place to another and you don't enjoy it at all. Don't you know about some good trip which includes these two towns? I wouldn't really mind if it would include one more place to visit, but I really don't want it to be too rush.

Thank you for any advice. :-)

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,231 reviews
from US$124.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
436 reviews
from US$103.70*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,066 reviews
from US$147.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
624 reviews
from US$99.50*
warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from London To Lacock and Bath

Unfortunately tour companies that visit Lacock will give you little more than 45 minutes to an hour here. That includes Mad Max who operate a tour here from Bath by minibus or International Friends who do a day tour here with Bath and Stonehenge on Tuesdays or their weekend tour which calls here on Sunday mornings for a brief visit. Premium Tours do a lunch stop here but again less than an hour.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,906 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from London To Lacock and Bath

You are unlikely to find a coach tour from London that only calls at Lacock and Bath, although this one comes close - premiumtours.co.uk/tours/tour/stonehenge-lac… .

However, you might also want to consider taking a train to Bath and joining this 2.45 tour - madmaxtours.co.uk/index.php/tours/castle-com… - that would still give you most of the afternoon in Bath.

Phil-the-Bus

Liberec, Czech...
Level Contributor
27 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from London To Lacock and Bath

Thank you for all advices.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,838 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from London To Lacock and Bath

Tours are to be avoided if possible, IMO, you have no control over what happens to you.

Unfortunately there is no bus service from Bath to Lacock, but you could catch an early train to Chippenham and then catch a bus out to Lacock from there. The first bus is at 08:50, the journey is about 15 minutes.

You could then spend a couple of hours in Lacock, catch a bus back to Chippenham, then a train to Bath. Finally a train back to London from Bath (the last one leaves around 10:45.

The Roman baths are open late in July and August.

Unfortunately you would need 3 train tickets, the stupid regulations mean you cannot break your journey from London to Bath by stopping off at Chippenham. Also a train from London to Chippenham will be more expensive before 09:00.

Bus timetable here.

http://www.faresaver.co.uk/timetable.php

I am not sure how close Chippenham bus station is to the railway station.

A taxi from Chippenham station to Lacock would be of the order £10-12.

Unfortunately your insistence on visiting Lacock will considerably add to the cost.

Lacock is a village, by the way !

Edited: 16 June 2013, 17:05
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,290 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from London To Lacock and Bath

>>Unfortunately you would need 3 train tickets, the stupid regulations mean you cannot break your journey from London to Bath by stopping off at Chippenham.<<

Um, yes you can, unless it's an Advance ticket.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,384 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from London To Lacock and Bath

It's about a 10 minute walk to the bus station in Chippenham - some of the buses stop near the station but probably not at times useful to you.

7. Re: Day trip from London To Lacock and Bath

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2014, 05:16