We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is cheaper? London & Paris or Venice, Florence & Rome?

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
248 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Which is cheaper? London & Paris or Venice, Florence & Rome?

Does anyone on here know if it would be any cheaper to do Italy over London & Paris? We are planning our first visit to Europe for early Oct and are shocked at what hotels cost in London and Paris (haven't researched Italy much yet). We'll pay what we have to, but just curious if Italy would be less expensive. Thanks!

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is cheaper? London & Paris or Venice, Florence & Rome?

Probably Florence is cheapest, with Rome a tad cheaper than London and Paris.

Everything comes down to supply and demand. For example, Paris and London are the only cities comparable to New York, and their prices are no more than you would expect to pay in Manhattan, probably less.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,769 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is cheaper? London & Paris or Venice, Florence & Rome?

In a word, "No".

Everywhere can be expensive. So you just have to do more research into cheaper accommodation, which, not surprisingly, is popular.

Plenty of people on here have produced lists and reviewed hundreds of hotels for your benefit. Have a browse.

You have plenty of time and it is not the peak season, so you should be fine. Decide how much you want to spend per night, in local currency, and ask again on here, after having looked at some suitable hotels.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,550 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is cheaper? London & Paris or Venice, Florence & Rome?

Why not just check?

All I can say is I was researching Rome (for this November) and it was hellishly expensive - easily twice the equivalent of a similar grade/type of hotel here. (And that's before you get to the cost of a coffee or somewhere to eat). So it's now somewhere else instead!

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,352 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is cheaper? London & Paris or Venice, Florence & Rome?

Venice is very expensive, both for hotels and for public transport. Paris & London are probably comparable to NYC for hotels; Paris public transport is cheaper than London, but most London museums and galleries are free. It's not always a simple equation.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,897 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is cheaper? London & Paris or Venice, Florence & Rome?

Venice will not be cheap.

Honestly though, the airfare will be your greatest cost. I would go where you want to go.

Here is the list for budget hotels in London; (thank Texscott)

https:/…

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,674 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is cheaper? London & Paris or Venice, Florence & Rome?

IME, hotels are fairly similar in pricing. London comes out a little more expensive once you factor in the conversion to US$ from £ as opposed to €.

However, I have always found flights to Italy to be more expensive than flights to Paris, which are usually more expensive than flights to London. I haven't been to Florence or Venice, though. Only Rome, Naples, and an agritourisme south of Naples.

Overall, I don't think it's a huge difference. I stay in budget hotels, though.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,636 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is cheaper? London & Paris or Venice, Florence & Rome?

Depends on the $/£ and $/€ exchange rate.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which is cheaper? London & Paris or Venice, Florence & Rome?

You've picked the most expensive cities in Italy so don't expect them to be cheaper, you need to do more research then decide which you would prefer to visit as the cost won't be much different.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,769 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which is cheaper? London & Paris or Venice, Florence & Rome?

Here's a thought.... since you don't have a burning desire to go to a particular city, and have never been before, why not choose places that are relatively cheap, rather than tourist honeypots?

Berlin, Brno, Budapest, Kracow, Belgrade, Biarritz, Bratislava, Tallin, Riga, Edinburgh, etc.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which is cheaper? London & Paris or Venice, Florence & Rome?

I agree, Berlin is a great city.