We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London/Paris

California
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
London/Paris

Traveling in the fall. Arriving in London via LHR on a Tuesday. We are planning on spending 6 nights in London, then take the Eurostar to Paris for 7 nights. We will take the Eurostar back to London and spend one more night in London before flying back to California.

Does it make sense to stay near Heathrow on our final night for ease of getting to the airport the next day for a 2:00 departure flight? We've never been and don't have any sense yet of the layout of the city.

Or should we stay near the Eurostar London station the final night, assuming we can then take a train from that station back out to Heathrow?

Thanks for your advice!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
The California
The California
2,182 Reviews
London, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,391 Reviews
from US$125.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,150 Reviews
from US$127.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros. Studio: The Making of...
541 Reviews
from US$112.90*
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,777 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London/Paris

With a flight departure at 1400 there is no need to stay near the airport. If your flight were at 0730 that would be another matter enirely.

Book a hotel near St Pancras on your return with Eurostar then take the Piccadilly line of the Underground to the airport the next day. It's a step free journey from KX to all three Heathrow Tube stations, with travel time 60 minutes.

With what airline have you booked? If you'd like help finding a hotel for the last night in London let us know how many are in your party and your budget in pounds.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
London
London
England, UK
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
972 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London/Paris

Have you priced out the option of flying home from Paris? May be worth it vs. potential hassle of going back to London.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
London
London
England, UK
California
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: London/Paris

Thanks for your reply. I have priced flying home from Paris instead of returning to London. I want to fly British Airways and if we depart Paris on BA, we have to do a stop in London. (I'd really prefer nonstop). So this has been my dilemna in trying to decide. The cost comparison between the higher flight cost leaving from Paris vs. the Eurostar fees to go back to London are not really a factor right now, but could be if flight costs go up before we book (have to wait a few more weeks before we know for sure we can make the trip). What I haven't really determined is if we'd be wasting a lot of sightseeing time by making that trip back to London for that final night.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
London
London
England, UK
California
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: London/Paris

We plan on flying British Airways nonstop from San Francisco. Our hotel budget is 95 to 110 pounds per night.

Thanks for your suggestion to stay near St. Pancras. If our flight departs at 2:00, would you recommend getting on the Picadilly line by 10:00 a.m.?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
972 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London/Paris

For that price range, you might be able to get the Euro Hotel on Cartwright Gardens. I liked it for being a reasonable walk to St. Pancras when a friend and I did a London/Paris trip a few years back.

Mentioned in this post
The Euro Hotel
The Euro Hotel
756 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
London
Level Contributor
52 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London/Paris

Yes, 10.00 am sounds about right. You're advised to allow 3 hours for check-in at LHR for the US and it takes just under an hour to get to T5 from Kings X.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,235 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London/Paris

I think the extra night - esp on a fairly low budget - is more time and (hidden expense ) than it's worth. I'd add a day to London and subtract a day from Paris too though.

Up to you but a through ticket is protected, should't need a night in a hotel and extra transport costs and less hassle.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London/Paris

If i understand correctly, you have not yet booked your transatlantic flights. BA has international partners. Book open-jaws LAX - CDG- LAX. Even if you're not flying to/from LAX, it's much better to wait for a connecting flight, than to go back to London, and then go to LHR.

-- Steve

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,492 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London/Paris

The multi city flight may be more expensive, but have you deducted the cost of the eurostar tickets back to London? And you would also gain almost a full day in Paris if you flew out on an open jaw ticket.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,538 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London/Paris

Try pricing the ticket on something like Expedia or Orbitz and see if you can fly in and out of different cities, that way you are not locked into one airline. The couple of times I've done it the price has been cheaper and in one case I added on another flight leg with no additional charge. Traveling between London and Paris via Eurostar will eat up at least 4 hours between getting to and from the train stations and the actual ride itself.

If you do end up going back through London, I agree that I'd just stay near St. Pancras. I found an Ibis near Euston which is walking distance from St. Pancras, by the time I had decided to stay there the rates had gone up so I ended up at a different Ibis but it's another option.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France