We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eurostar vs flight from London-Paris

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Eurostar vs flight from London-Paris

WE are a family of 4 and we have never been to London or taken the Eurostar to Paris.

We have been to Paris but almost 15 years ago. The flight is cheaper by about $30pp (so $120 total). And the train is a longer trip. Is it worth it - the experience? Has it made anyone motion sick?

Where exactly are you let out in Paris - do you still need a cab into town or are you close enough to a metro station?

Thank you.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,539 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eurostar vs flight from London-Paris

If you are starting out in London, take the Eurostar. It's a no-brainer. The trains go city center to city center. You emerge at Gare du Norde.

Getting to Heathrow for a flight is a much longer trip than arriving at St. Pancras, and will cost more. In addition, you will have to arrive early, go through security, board your flight, take off, touch down, pick up luggage, and then taxi in to the city.

It is probably 3 hours by train compared to almost 5 by air.

Are you looking at the prices on the official eurostar website?

Edited: 16 June 2013, 18:53
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eurostar vs flight from London-Paris

If you are travelling from city centre to city centre, the train is far quicker, bearing in mind that you have to get to and from airports at either end and waiting around time is less with Eurostar than at an airport. For air travel you also have to include the cost of getting to and from airports at either end. The train terminal in Paris is at the Gare du Nord.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eurostar vs flight from London-Paris

It's quick, and fast. Unless you are highly sensitive, I doubt you will get motion sick. There is alot more room to walk around as well.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eurostar vs flight from London-Paris

And the train is a longer trip. Is it worth it - the experience? Has it made anyone motion sick?

-------

End to end its far quicker. By a long way.

I'd say the time savings and lack of hassle is well worth a few extra pounds, if indeed it does cost more, given. as said, the cost of city centre to airport transport at both ends that you've probably omitted in your calculation.

Re motion sickness, have you not been on a train before? If not give it a go. Never heard of anyone getting motion sickness on one (discounting the fiasco of the infamous tilting trains many years ago).

Edited: 16 June 2013, 19:30
Illinois
Level Contributor
16,207 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eurostar vs flight from London-Paris

I've never taken the Eurostar, but I would say that you're no more likely to get motion sick on a regular train than on an airplane. (I've gotten motion sick on both, mainly if I am trying to read.) It helps if you can get a forward facing seat.

London, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eurostar vs flight from London-Paris

I have been with Eurostar, I checked the flights as well, an it seems that you save some money by plane, but just think about the transfers in London and Paris, to and from airport. By train is not much experience, but is nice.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,910 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eurostar vs flight from London-Paris

>>Re motion sickness, have you not been on a train before? If not give it a go. Never heard of anyone getting motion sickness on one (discounting the fiasco of the infamous tilting trains many years ago).<<

Fiasco? It was a minor problem that was soon corrected. It's only because the powers that be got cold feet (no doubt fuelled by a media that were determined to highlight any problems) and pulled the plug that the project was shelved.

Don't forget it was extremely pioneering technology, and what was learnt was used to build the current generations of tilting trains.

Edited: 16 June 2013, 20:06
Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eurostar vs flight from London-Paris

Another thing to remember is that Eurostar has nothing like the same luggage restrictions as flying. If you are using a budget airline the difference will be even greater, with a hefty charge for any checked-in luggage. Even people going well beyond Paris (to cities where flying would have been quicker) sometimes use Eurostar for that reason alone.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eurostar vs flight from London-Paris

"It was a minor problem that was soon corrected. It's only because the powers that be got cold feet (no doubt fuelled by a media that were determined to highlight any problems) and pulled the plug that the project was shelved. "

You're spot on, would only happen this country, we're to quick with the self depreciation. You wouldn't find the German's giving up so easily (or broadcasting it to the world), look at the Starfighter, how many pilots did they loose?

Virginia
Level Contributor
585 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eurostar vs flight from London-Paris

We've traveled from London to Paris both ways, by air and the Eurostar. As others have said...it's a no brainer, take the Eurostar. We'll never fly that route again. The Eurostar was great; convenient, relaxing and no hassels with security etc. We bought a nice lunch and wine at St. Pancras and had a lovely trip.