We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa debit card without the chip will it be accepted in UK

Norah Head...
Level Contributor
102 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Visa debit card without the chip will it be accepted in UK

Opened up a debit visa card with Citibank, due to it not charging any conversion fees. Received the card which has no chip. Inquired with Citibank whether I would have any problems whilst traveling in UK & Ireland, due to the card not having a chip and was told the card will be swiped at eftpos machines and can be used as per normal at atms, and I should have no problems with card being a visa.

Is anyone aware of problems I might have using this card, as I opened it primarily to use whilst traveling.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
943 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa debit card without the chip will it be accepted in UK

No problem except at unattended machines. Just swipe as usual. Should work in an ATM with a PIN.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,307 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa debit card without the chip will it be accepted in UK

As long as you have a four digit PIN number for use at ATMs, you will be fine. As Skibuff says, you will have problems with some automated machines which will require a Chip like ticket machines, otherwise OK.

Norah Head...
Level Contributor
102 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa debit card without the chip will it be accepted in UK

Thank you so much for that, but what do you mean by unattended machines, is that self service centres, railways etc.,

Edited: 17 June 2013, 11:23
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,956 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa debit card without the chip will it be accepted in UK

You should be fine with any transaction processed by a human.

But you would do best to use the card to get cash out of ATMs and then spend the cash.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,307 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa debit card without the chip will it be accepted in UK

<<Thank you so much for that, but what do you mean by unattended machines, is that self service centres, railways etc>>

Yes, ticket machines at railway stations mainly

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,508 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa debit card without the chip will it be accepted in UK

And tube station top-up/purchase machines. But there's almost always an attendant available. I just got back a week ago and had no problems, with that caveat. I agree that it is easier really just to take out a fair chunk of cash each time and spend that.

Edited: 17 June 2013, 19:33
7. Re: Visa debit card without the chip will it be accepted in UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2014, 05:17