We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Parking in London

I'll be driving to London from Oxford to see the capital for two days (22nd, 23rd July - weekdays). I've booked to live in London - Chingford (22nd) and London-Heathrow (23rd) before flying back to Vancouver. Can anyone suggest where I should park my car for free or at a reasonable price while seeing great places like The British Museum, Tower Bridge, Covent Garden, Knigtsbridge, Herrods, etc.? Is there any website you know where I can check the best deals in London parking? Thanks so much for your help.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,653 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking in London

Is there any reason that you are driving rather than taking the train?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,143 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking in London

Oxford is west of London and Chingford is to the north of the city centre. Will you stay in Chingford one night and at a more central location the other?

Taking a car from Oxford to Chingford then back to Heathrow sounds remarkably unpleasant all around. Take the train or Oxford Tube to Paddington and make your way to Chingford (where?) from there. Let us know when you plan to fly back to YVR and with what airline as well.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking in London

Thank you for your prompt answer. My whole trip to the UK is 21 days and my son's graduation ceremony takes place on 22nd in Oxford. I plan to see London on my last 2 days in the whole trip and I've heard that it's very difficult to park in London. Both my rental car and hotel rooms are already paid and final. So I can't actually consider other options of travel.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking in London

I'll fly back to Vancouver on 24th July at 2:50pm from Heathrow. Please refer to my last reply for other details. Many thanks.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,143 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking in London

Where in London have you booked to stay? If one night is in Chingford then leave the car at the hotel and buy a Travelcard; there are four trains an hour from Chingford to Liverpool Street station with connections from there.

If you've booked a hotel elsewhere for the night of the 23rd, please let us know. Will you have to return the hire car to a Heathrow location before your flight?

Canada
Level Contributor
4,653 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking in London

Well the best of British luck to you then... :)

I have driven in many big British cities including Leeds, Manchester and Birmingham and would NEVER contemplate driving in to London. <shudder>

Where are you returning the car to?

Where are you staying in Chingford and at LHR ?

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,524 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking in London

Could you just return the car early to Heathrow (assuming that's where you're returning to)and then take the train/tube? I doubt they'd charge you extra to return early and it might be easier than dealing with the car. Maybe someone else can tell you how to get to Chingford from Heathrow, as I have no idea.

Personally, despite not knowing where Chingford is, I think I might pay extra for a hotel that was in the same place for both those nights. Since your flight doesn't leave until 2:40PM, maybe you could get a cheap room (challenging, I know) in London for the 2 nights. It might be worth it even if you lose the money on the other 2 hotels as you'll save on time and transport, I'd think.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking in London

Thank you for all you people's advice. That's really lots of food for thought. I'll see what I can do about this mess I've created. I've actually been to London two times before and it's always by public transportation. This time I want a change and it seems that it is a bad idea. Perhaps I should give up visiting London altogether since I've been to most of the places I want to see again. I think I need to change my plan and visit the areas around London then.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,524 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking in London

I don't know what the rest of your itinerary is like, but Blenheim Palace and the Cotswolds are near Oxford if you wanted to stay there. I'd think if you left early ish in the morning you could drive to Heathrow from the Oxford area (where I presume you have somewhere to park the car) before an afternoon flight, but I'd confirm that with someone who's done it.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,848 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking in London

You could always stop in Windsor the day before your flight to see the Castle.

There are places to park, and it is only 20 minutes from Heathrow.