We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport from Fulham area to Penge (Crystal Palace)?

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Topic
Public transport from Fulham area to Penge (Crystal Palace)?

Hello, please advise me:

1) Is tap water in Heathrow Airport drinkable?

2) We'll have to transfer from Travelodge Fulham Hotel to Travelodge Crystal Palace Hotel in PENGE. The taxi seems too expensive to me because the distance is quite far (as I see on the map), so I wonder whether the use of public transport is possible in this case. We are three people (wife, 10 year-old son and me) travelling with 1 big suitcase and 3 carry-ons. We are visiting London for the first time.

3)The same question, but from Penge to St-Pancras Interantional (Eurostar train station)?

Thank you very much for any suggestion..

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,631 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport from Fulham area to Penge (Crystal Palace)?

Tap water in all of London is drinkable.

From the Travelodge in Fulham make your way to Fulham Broadway Underground station. Take a District line train to Earl's Court; you will need to change to another eastbound District line train at Earl's Court towards Upminster, with the trains on two sides of an island platform.

Alight from the District line train at Westminster and change there to the Jubilee line towards Stratford. Alight at Canada Water and change to the Overground towards West Croydon. Anerley is a step free station not too far from the Travelodge, although Penge West may be a bit nearer.

You may take a train from Anerley to East Croydon and from there a National Rail train to St Pancras. You may also take a train from Sydenham to London Bridge and change there to a National Rail train to St Pancras.

At what time of day and on what day of the week does your train depart from St Pancras? Planned works at the weekend may increase the travel time from southeast London, so please let us know.

Edited: 18 June 2013, 19:01
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport from Fulham area to Penge (Crystal Palace)?

Thank you very much for your prompt and detailed advice, TravellerPlus.

My train departs from St-Pancras on Monday the 8th July, at 4.22 pm. So, at what time we should leave Penge? (I want to be on the safe side). Will it be very difficult in changing tube or train platforms (or entering and exiting the stations) with a big suitcase?

And by the way, as both journeys involve using the tube and the train and the overground, what kind of ticket (or tickets) I have to buy?

Thank you again for any advice.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,627 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport from Fulham area to Penge (Crystal Palace)?

That's an awkward journey from Fulham Broadway to that Travelodge at Crystal Palace. Anerley is the nearest railway station, but it's a 13 minute walk from there to the TL. You could pick up the 358 bus towards Orpington from just outside Anerley station (stop C) and that will drop you off 2 minutes from the hotel at stop F (Avenue Road).

A perhaps slightly better option would be to take the same route that TravellerPlus mentions but get off two stations earlier at Sydenham. Walk a couple of minutes to stop H on the spider map and take the 75 to "Penge and Sydenham/Avenue Road" (stop J) which is 2 minutes from the hotel. An advantage of Sydenham is that it's served by more Overground trains (both the West Croydon and Crystal Palace lines).

tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/aner…

tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…sydenham-a4.pdf

tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/aner…

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport from Fulham area to Penge (Crystal Palace)?

Thank you very much for your advice, USBusinessTraveller. I'll look attentively at the 3 websites you've given.

Would you please tell me what kind of ticket (or tickets) I'll have to buy for these journeys? Is there just ONE ticket which would cover the tube, the train and bus? Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,631 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transport from Fulham area to Penge (Crystal Palace)?

If you wish, you may buy zone 1 - 4 Travelcards for the journey. Those cards will allow unlimited use on the Underground, Overground, National Rail trains, DLR and buses in those zones. One day off peak (travel after 0930 on weekdays or any time at weekends and public holidays) cost £8.

Your son may travel for free on buses, the Underground, Overground and DLR trains, but will need a ticket to use National Rail services. He may buy a one day off peak Travelcard for £3.40, but again that will be necessary only if you plan to use National Rail trains. Although the Overground (look for orange roundels instead of the Tube's blue and red) is part of National Rail, its operations are a bit different, so your son will not need to pay a fare when riding those trains. Here's the Overground network map: tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/london-overgroun…

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transport from Fulham area to Penge (Crystal Palace)?

Do you really HAVE to go to Crystal Palace? There are other Travelodges in the outskirts with similar prices, such as Battersea, Balham, Croydon Central, Park Royal, which would all be easier to get to from Earls Court.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transport from Fulham area to Penge (Crystal Palace)?

Another way is to get the tube from Fulham Broadway to Wimbledon and change to the number 3 tram to East Croydon, this can be done with oyster PAYG or a travelcard that is valid for travel in zones 3, 4 or 5 so TP’s suggestion of the 1-4 zone travelcard will do. From East Croydon there are 3 alternatives that spring to mind, the 197 bus from stop E4 will take you to the TL in Penge stopping at Avenue Road bus stop F opposite the hotel.

Second you could transfer to a number 2 tram to the Avenue Road tram stop. This will mean going over a footbridge and then walking up Avenue Road to the hotel but that is quite a walk up a hill.

Alternatively carry on the tram to the next tram stop at Beckenham Road, exit down the slope and cross the road you will then see a bus stop to your right outside an office block on the other side of the bridge from where you can get the 358 bus to the Avenue Road bus stop (J). If using an oystercard make sure you touch in at the reader on the platform next to the tram stop at Wimbledon and when changing trams at East Croydon.

Adding to TP’s suggestion in #1 you could take the District line tube but get off at Embankment and walk up to Charing Cross station from where you can get the Hayes (Kent) train to Clock House in zone 4 (at 05 & 35 past the hour). From the bus stop just to the right when you exit you can get the 358 bus or get a mini-cab from Clockhouse Cars next to the station for the short distance (by car) to the TL.

Another route for your journey to StP is to get the SouthEastern train from Clock House station (not far from the Beckenham Road Tram stop) to London Bridge, if you get the Charing Cross train (at 19 & 49 mins after the hour) it will arrive at platform 6 for a same platform change to the First Capital Connect train to StP. I’ve done this journey many times and would normally allow 1.5 hours in case there are delays etc, it’s approx. 30 mins from Clock House to London Bridge then another 20-30 to get to StP. The Northern line tube also will get you to StP from LB.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Public transport from Fulham area to Penge (Crystal Palace)?

Thank you again, TravellerPlus, ElmersEnd, Westlondoner99. I've written down all the info. in my notebook.

But I'm still a bit confused: Are "tram" and "Overground" the same thing in London?

If Yes, why can't I see Wimbledon and East Croydon tram stations (as mentioned by ElmersEnd in his advice) on the London Overground Map?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,627 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public transport from Fulham area to Penge (Crystal Palace)?

The tram is not the same as London Overground. The tram is light rail/street car. It only operates in the Croydon "area" with one line running to Wimbledon. And from Wimbledon to just before West Croydon it's quite fast as it runs along a disused rail line.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modalpages/2674.aspx

I'd thought of the tram option, but the Journey Planner showed a slower overall travel time. But it's an option. The change of tram is same platform; get off one tram anywhere between Centrale and Sandilands and wait for another.

Edited: 19 June 2013, 03:31
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public transport from Fulham area to Penge (Crystal Palace)?

You can check any journey in London on the journey planner at tfl.gov.uk.

As the network of trains and bus services is so dense there are often a number of possible alternative routes.