We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Call The Midwife

Vasteras, Sweden
Level Contributor
193 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Call The Midwife

Have been watching the TV series 'Call The Midwife'. It's supposed to be in Poplar as I understand it. But is Poplar today anything like in the series? Is it worth a visit? Or any other place that would give the feel of 'Call The Midwife'?

Essex
Level Contributor
27,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Call The Midwife

Lots of it was filmed in Chatham Historic Dockyards

thedockyard.co.uk/NetsiteCMS/…20Tours.html

Essex
Level Contributor
27,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Call The Midwife

Silvertown is another area to explore....

www.docklandsmemories.org.uk/stansgallery.htm

Vasteras, Sweden
Level Contributor
193 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Call The Midwife

Oh thank you! I will have a look at those.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,176 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Call The Midwife

The area of Poplar where this was supposed to be set was pulled down in the 60's and 70's to be replaced by what is now Canary Wharf and Docklands. Just north of Canary Wharf is Poplar High Street which has remained largely unchanged except for some new apartment blocks.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Call The Midwife

I've never watched this series, but I noticed an article in the paper today which says that St Joseph's Missionary College, setting of Nonnatus House is to be redeveloped as luxury housing, so a new location will have to be found

6. Re: Call The Midwife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 May 2014, 17:31
London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Call The Midwife

Somebody I know who grew up in Silvertown says that this show is very reminiscent of his childhood. I'm not sure what Silvertown looked like back then, and I have never seen Call the Midwife, but I have been to Silvertown quite recently and I can confirm that it does feel rather like stepping back half a century or more. It certainly has undergone much less transformation than any other part of London that I have been to.

8. Re: Call The Midwife

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 May 2014, 17:32
9. Re: Call The Midwife

10. Re: Call The Midwife

Edited: 13 May 2014, 17:32