We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to hire cheap Kombi Vans in Europe?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where to hire cheap Kombi Vans in Europe?

Hi All,

I was wondering if you could help me? A friend and I are travelling to the UK/Europe in October/November and would like to do a Euro Road Trip. We were wanting to hire out a Kombi van to around from London, Amsterdam, Paris, Zurich, Munich and any other places we find along the way (not in order of travel). Ive looked at a few sites and they all seem very expensive.. can anyone help us out with some information on where to look?

Thanks Guys

Bee

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,737 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to hire cheap Kombi Vans in Europe?

If you're hiring the Kombi van (do you mean camper van) in England (not London, for your sanity's sake), I'm not sure if the hire company will let you take it abroad (they might for a big fee), also don't forget that the steering wheel will be on the wrong side when you're on the roads in continental Europe.

Edited: 25 June 2013, 07:38
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to hire cheap Kombi Vans in Europe?

Oh i didnt think of that! Thanks

I was looking at the Wicked Vans, you can hire them for WAY cheaper for a longer time and pick it up from Amsterdam.. That might be the way to go :)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,831 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to hire cheap Kombi Vans in Europe?

Driving in Spain and Italy you require an International driving permit, though check other European countries, and in Switzerland a Vignette.

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to hire cheap Kombi Vans in Europe?

Also, each country has its own rules: in France you must carry a warning triangle and a breathalyser kit. In Spain you must carry a reflective jacket for EVERYONE in the vehicle, etc. A hire company may provide these, or they may not.

www.motorhomefacts.com has a great forum where motorhomers discuss where to stay, where to go etc.

Edited: 25 June 2013, 09:11
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to hire cheap Kombi Vans in Europe?

Investigate the heating situation. This could be a very cold experience.

If you are only interested in cities I would just use trains and hostels. You might not find any camping sites near city centres and driving will be more difficult.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to hire cheap Kombi Vans in Europe?

Thank you all so much! A lot of information here that i didnt know about.. i will definitely take your advice on all it. Thank you again :)

Bee x

7. Re: Where to hire cheap Kombi Vans in Europe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 06:19