We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hertz Car Rental Heathrow: Collision Damage Waiver Scam

Boston...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
Hertz Car Rental Heathrow: Collision Damage Waiver Scam

We rented a car from Hertz on 5/24/13 to 6/14/13. We made arrangements for the rental through AAA in the United States. We picked up the car at London Heathrow. We paid 484 pounds sterling for collision damage waiver (equivalent of US $735). During the rental period we had damage to 3 tires and we also had scratches on the front bumper. When we returned the car on 6/14/13 we were told that the collision damage waiver did not apply to any of the damages. We were charged an extra 686 pounds sterling (equivalent of US $ 1,042 ). When we returned home we called Hertz Customer Service (which should be called Customer Disservice) only to be told, by a very unhelpful and rude "customer service representative" that we would have to e-mail the London Heathrow Hertz Location to discuss the claim or we would have to call the London Heathrow Location. The London Heathrow Location failed to inform us that buying Collision Damage Waiver would not cover tires and would not cover any scratches to the car. They also failed to tell us that there would be a huge deductible for which we would be responsible. What they should have told us is "the $735 that you paid us for collision damage waiver will cover nothing." As a result we wound up paying $2,900.00 for a 3 week car rental. This is a disgraceful ripoff. Steer clear of Hertz London Heathrow if you don't want your vacation ruined.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,981 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hertz Car Rental Heathrow: Collision Damage Waiver Scam

<<<<<<<< failed to tell us >>>>

Well, what happens with other hire companies; in other countries? Everytime I've been asked to sign an agreement, I read that I AGREE with the Terms & Conditions.

If I can't be bothered to read the T&Cs, then that is my problem.

I do not expect someone to tell me every last detail......... It's MY responsibility. I AM the hirer.

Whatever happened to "CAVEAT EMPTOR"?? :-)

(or paragraphs.....)

Edited: 26 June 2013, 02:47
Canada
Level Contributor
4,996 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hertz Car Rental Heathrow: Collision Damage Waiver Scam

How did you manage to damage three tires?

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,307 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hertz Car Rental Heathrow: Collision Damage Waiver Scam

Tires and windscreens are usually covered by separate, extra insurance, which is normally an add on per day. Is that what you paid? I'm a little confused at what the extra insurance was for if not that? You should have been covered for minor scratches, but they usually tell you what the excess amount is when you pay the insurance. If you still have the documents, read through them thoroughly and see what you paid for, sometimes car companies will reject a claim and hope that the customer hasn't actually read the smallprint.

I'm interested in how you managed to damage 3 tyres too?!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hertz Car Rental Heathrow: Collision Damage Waiver Scam

Tyre damage insurance is normally separate from CWD. I usually get the tyre & windscreen damage cover, but not CWD.

£484 does seem a bit steep for CWD, but I haven't rented a car in the UK for years.

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hertz Car Rental Heathrow: Collision Damage Waiver Scam

This web site compares the excess waiver insurances in many countries.

moneymaxim.co.uk/compare-car-hire-excess-ins…

You should be able to get quite a comprehensive one from £3 a day from third parties.

Discount web based car hire companies like easyCar that just act as brokers for the big boys offer these policies warning you about the extortionate policies offered by the car hire companies themselves.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
45 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hertz Car Rental Heathrow: Collision Damage Waiver Scam

After a horrendous experience with Hertz in Paris CDG when their rep tried to attach a child's car seat using SELLOTAPE I would never use them again anyway...

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hertz Car Rental Heathrow: Collision Damage Waiver Scam

I really don't think there's much you can do about it and you should have disputed it in london but damaging 3 tyres is very strange, did you go on untarred roads? If you did then you're not covered for damage.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hertz Car Rental Heathrow: Collision Damage Waiver Scam

You may be better served by posting in the Flyertalk Hertz forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-423/

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hertz Car Rental Heathrow: Collision Damage Waiver Scam

Somehow I just don't buy all these people who say if you don't agree with theT's and C's don't rent. I'll wager that more than 9/10 people who rent a car do NOT go through the terms at the rental desk, decide they don't like them and then go somewhere else to do this all over again. People just want to be in and out as quickly as possible.

Most reasonable people expect the rental sales rep to be honest with them when up selling them to buy more insurance - however we all know that is just wishful thinking.

How did the OP damage 3 tyres? My guess is he kerbed the wheels - easily done if you're renting a car in another country with the steering wheel on the other side.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,545 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hertz Car Rental Heathrow: Collision Damage Waiver Scam

Many, many policies do not cover tyres or the underside of vehicles which is why paying £50 a year for excess insurance cover is sometimes more beneficial