We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Gatwick to London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MALTA
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Gatwick to London

Dear All,

I am a bit worried of driving to Central London from Gatwick on a Saturday evening round about 8-9 pm. A friend of mine told me to expect a lot of traffic jams especially on the M25.

I have already rented my car so I am a bit lost. Any suggestions of what should or I should not do?

Thanks in advance.

VOJNOB MALTA

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Gatwick to London

The drive from Gatwick into London involves a lot of congested shopping streets and traffic lights which is why most people take the train. Why do you want a car in central London anyway, parking is difficult and expensive and if you still have the car on Monday you would have to pay the congestion charge.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Gatwick to London

What post 1 said, why are you driving into central London, where will you park, and what are you planning to do with a car in central London, since in general, its a hindrance, not a help?

If its to take someone round who is in a wheelchair, you'd be better off either using buses, or taxis. You could take a few taxi journeys a day for the cost of car hire and parking in London and parking overnight, and if you are driving around you'll probably not find any parking near where you wish to go so then you'd need to pay expensive parking *and* a taxi.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,068 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Gatwick to London

You won't be going on the M25, just crossing it. It's M23 from Gatwick then A23 which is where you will encounter traffic, even at the time you are travelling

Where in London are you staying? With luck, it might be not too terrible an idea to drive if you aren't in the centre

London
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Gatwick to London

There are streets in Central London which are free to park on, in the weekend. Moreover, the M23 - A23, connects Gatwick and Westminster, the latter has plenty of free parking. Once you say where you're staying I can be more specific.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,552 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Gatwick to London

Where are you staying in central London, and for how long?

(just in case the rental car may be worth it, which it usually isn't)

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Gatwick to London

At that time of night you won't have much traffic on a Saturday night. Where are you staying?

Don't tke the M@£ / A23 route - its terrible.

With clear motorways I'd take the M25 / A243 / A3 for south or central London

For West London (Kensington . Knightsbridge) I'd use the M25 / M4. It's a longer way round but if its clear it will be quicker.

MALTA
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Gatwick to London

Dear All,

Thanks a lot for your prompt replies and suggestions.

I would be dropping someone at Gatwick airport and then I will continue with my family's holiday in London. We would be staying in a hotel near King's Cross.

Is it a good idea if I park my car for a night at a tube station parking and then continue to central London using the tube? If yes can anyone please suggest the best tube station where to park my car overnight without the need of doing any changes at any stations at the tube to arrive to my hotel since I would be still carrying our luggage.

Regards.

Vojnob.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,679 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Gatwick to London

I think You can get a TRAIN from Kings Cross to Gatwick. Much easier and quicker than driving.....

You need to provide more information - where are you staying before London, etc

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Gatwick to London

How long are you in London for and why do you need a car? My instinct is to hand the car in at gatwick and train to London but that depends why you have the car and where you plan to go after London. A car in London is a positive hindrance.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,068 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Gatwick to London

Direct train from Gatwick to St Pancras which adjoins Kings Cross, takes less than one hour as opposed to trying to drive to Kings Cross which will take nearer 2 hours.

Having a car is going to be a waste of time and money to be honest

If you still want to drive it, good luck, but this site might help you plan it www.theaa.com