We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas London trip

Greystanes, New...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Xmas London trip

Hi, I am planning on coming to London for a soccer/football trip at xmas/ny with 2 friends, all of us are 22-25 yrs old but were not sure where to stay with it being a festive season we want to be close to the action but not so close that all we can hear is people on the street. I was in London last year with my gf and we stayed at the z hotel in soho which was great and close to oxford st so I was wondering if that's a good area to celebrate xmas? cheers

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,221 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xmas London trip

That would be a good place to stay, but there a couple of things you need to know about Christmas in London

1. There is no public transport on Christmas Day. Walking or taxi will be your only option for moving around

2. Most restaurants and attractions will be closed

3. It will be very lonely in the centre on Christmas Day. Not many people live there

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xmas London trip

>>> we want to be close to the action but not so close that all we can hear is people on the street <<<

What people? Central London will be far from action-packed on Christmas Day - as dicanio10 says above, there is no public transport and it's not a residential area so the vast majority of people are elsewhere for Christmas. It's a great opportunity to see the centre of London with almost nobody in it, so I'm not saying you shouldn't go, but don't expect it to be especially lively.

Also, to build on the post above - do make plans early for how you're going to get around and what/where you're going to eat when the usual options aren't available.

Edited: 26 June 2013, 10:59
Greystanes, New...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Xmas London trip

Thanks for your help was thinking more about the chaos NYE normally brings rather then xmas which should be quiet. Assuming all the public transport will be up again for the football games? (boxing day + ny day) or else taxi it will be. Also for night life would you recommend soho or somewhere else? Thanks for your help

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Xmas London trip

Soho is a good area for everything, restaurants, pubs, nightlife, theatre so it would be a great place to stay during the holidays.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Xmas London trip

Public transport will be running on Boxing Day and New Year's Day, though as they are bank holidays the service is reduced. One thing you should be aware of is that our delightful trade unions have a habit of calling strikes on Boxing Day, so there is the possibility that the same could happen again this year. That has been known to affect football matches in the past (e.g. Arsenal have had to postpone their Boxing Day match for the past two years because of tube strikes).

Greystanes, New...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Xmas London trip

Looks like Soho it is then. Yeah the strikes is what i'm worried about so fingers crossed it all goes well. Thank you everyone for your help :)

7. Re: Xmas London trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2014, 06:20