We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

never used london underground before....HELP!

Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
never used london underground before....HELP!

My boyfriend and I are off to London this Sunday 30/06/13 until 04/07/13. We are staying in Earls Court and are hoping to take in:

Natural history museum

Science museum

Ripleys

Dungeons

Tower of London

Seeing Wicked at Apollo Victoria on 2nd

And some shopping.

We are arriving by coach to Victoria bus station.

Just wanted to know what tickets we should buy for the underground and where to buy them?

Thanks in advance :)

Jack the Ripper Museum
History Museums, Speciality Museums
Sutton House
Historic Sites, History Museums
Vintners' Hall
History Museums
The Salvation Army International Heritage Centre
History Museums, Speciality Museums
Peterborough
Level Contributor
410 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: never used london underground before....HELP!

Sure lots of London experts will help but if we go down to London for a couple if days we just get daily travel cards from any station and use the tube or walk to get around

hfx
Level Contributor
6,763 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: never used london underground before....HELP!

if you are like me and like to use public transit:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k662022…

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,787 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: never used london underground before....HELP!

This link is worth reading to see what options are available for you tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186338-c133479/Lon…

A 7 day 1-2 zone travelcard may be worth the cost as it will allow you to travel 24/7 including before 9.30am on weekdays

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,556 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: never used london underground before....HELP!

I'd put Ripley's at the bottom of a to do list along with the London Dungeon, but others' views will vary,

From the coach station, take the C1 to Earl's Court. You will see more of the city than you will on the Underground, and taking the bus should help you feel more sorted out where you're booked to stay. usairways.com/en-US/aboutus/customersfirst/c… The bus towards White City travels along Warwick Road (one way northbound) and the bus back towards Victoria along Earl's Court Road (one way southbound). The 74 will take you to the Natural History Museum and the Science Museum. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…earls-court.pdf tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/sout…

You may take the District line from Earl's Court station to Tower Hill for the Tower and the Piccadilly line from that station to Piccadilly Circus if you really want to go to Ripley's.

To pay for travel you may buy one day Travelcards for zones 1 and 2 at £7 each (for use after 0930 on weekdays or any time at the weekend) or use Pay As You Go on Oyster. If you decide to use Oyster, load £30 on each card (every person must use her or his own Oyster card or Travelcard); unused PAYG money and the £5 deposit for each card will be returned to you when you hand in the card at a Tube ticket office at the end of your stay. You should be able to buy either Travelcards or Oyster cards at the Coach Station.

5. Re: never used london underground before....HELP!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 June 2013, 05:35
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,556 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: never used london underground before....HELP!

There is some inaccurate information in post five.

'You can buy only one and use between the two of you also.' No, that's not allowed. If two people are making a journey from Tower Hill to Earl's Court, they cannot use the same Oyster card for the journey, as trying to touch in twice will be a rejected transaction. Each person must have their own card.

'... metro station...' Metro is a free giveaway paper on weekday mornings at Tube and rail stations.

'... it will cost you about 15 pounds plus your top up to go around.' The refundable deposit for Oyster cards is £5.

'This card can be used for the underground, bus or overground.' Travelcards can be used on the Underground, Overground, DLR and National Rail services in the paid for zones plus buses in all six zones. PAYG on Oyster can be used on those modes of transport as well with a daily cap on fares depending on zones used and whether peak or off peak.

'charge for zones 1 and 2 ... top up will cost you 30 pounds and is unlimited for 7 days.' That's a Travelcard for zones 1 and 2 at £30.40, a different matter from using PAYG. Seven day and longer Travelcards do offer unlimited use in the paid for zones (with no time of day constraints) though.

Small pocket size Tube maps are available at all Underground stations and are free of charge.

Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: never used london underground before....HELP!

Thank you so much for your help it has really cleared a few things up for me :) my boyfriend and I love anything weird and strange so ripleys if a definite must for us! From what I can see it looks like the Oyster card will be our best bet, I just did a little reading about it and it says if we use the cards a number of times in one day that it is capped at the daily rate of £8.40 is that true? If so that in my opinion is not too bad seeing as my daily commute to university is £9.70 by train. Once again thanks for the information. One other question, is there anywhere to leave luggage at the bus station? Our hotel check in is at 3pm and we arrive in London at 11. Any info on this would be much appreciated. Thanks

Groomsport, United...
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: never used london underground before....HELP!

Victoria coach station has a left luggage office. Quite reasonable too

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,556 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: never used london underground before....HELP!

The off peak cap is just £7 for journeys in zones 1 and 2. Off peak travel starts after 0930 on weekdays but is any time at weekends and public holidays. After you reach the cap, all other journeys will show as costing £0.00. You need not touch out on buses, just touch in only at the Oyster reader next to the driver's cabin at the front door.

One day off peak Travelcards for zones 1 and 2 cost £7.30 so there is a small saving by using PAYG on Oyster. I think Oyster is easier to use than paper tickets; you may hold on to the cards and use them again for another trip to London as well. The PAYG pre-pay will remain on the cards, good until used.

10. Re: never used london underground before....HELP!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 June 2013, 19:17