We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oxford or someother overnight stay and then off to heathrow?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nyc
Level Contributor
259 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Oxford or someother overnight stay and then off to heathrow?

I will be in London for 7 nights followed by 1 unplanned evening and a 4pm departure from Heathrow (international).

Considering leaving for Oxford early on a Friday after 7 nights in London, doing a half day Cotswald tour with roaming cotswalds, spend the night, go back to Healthrow from Oxford (leaving around 11/12 am for my 4 pm flight). Does this seem like a feasible and worthwhile plan?

I could also go to some other destination, ie Bath, Canterbury, Cambridge, for the night.

Any thoughts? Alternative ideas very welcome.

Thanks.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,595 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oxford or someother overnight stay and then off to heathrow?

Hi,

Say you have to be at Heathrow around 1pm, I think you should be leaving Oxford a bit earlier.

But Oxford or Bath are probably the 2 out of that selection I would choose. The others are too far, and rely on no traffic snarlups.

Many people stay in Windsor, which has a lot of visitor attractions, and is only 20 minutes from Heathrow.

It depends what you want to do on your last night.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,424 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oxford or someother overnight stay and then off to heathrow?

Windsor? Plenty to do, 20 minutes from Heathrow by taxi.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c157824/Winds…

Can I just say that leaving Oxford at 12:00 for a flight four hours later might not be allowing for enough time.

Edited: 27 June 2013, 03:27
nyc
Level Contributor
259 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oxford or someother overnight stay and then off to heathrow?

I suppose I could leave Oxford at 10am. I would really like to take the cotswald tour; I would stay as close to the train station as possible.

I am not interested in Windsor, not a huge castle fan.

Keep the ideas coming though!

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oxford or someother overnight stay and then off to heathrow?

You can get from Oxford to Heathrow by car in under an hour via the M40, so even allowing 2 hours should still be plenty of time. Travelling at 11am means you'll miss the morning rush hour, and because you're not travelling on the M25 you will miss any snarls there as well. However, accidents on any motorway bring traffic to a standstill, so best to get a good check on the traffic conditions on your morning of travel just to be safe. Remember that missing a flight because of traffic means the airline is under no obligation whatsoever to get you on another flight, it's your responsibility to be at the airport on time.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,424 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oxford or someother overnight stay and then off to heathrow?

If you are driving a car, you'll have to factor in additional time to return it.

I thought you were traveling by rail?

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,016 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oxford or someother overnight stay and then off to heathrow?

The easiest way to get from Oxford to Heathrow is by direct bus. Avoids having to go through London and there is a bus every 20 minutes or so.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Oxford or someother overnight stay and then off to heathrow?

Leaving London to visit somewhere outside - particularly 70 or 80 miles outside in the case of the Cotswolds -for a few hours on the day of an international flight doesn't really make sense

See somewhere else IN London or cut your London stay by a day or two and spend that time outside

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,424 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oxford or someother overnight stay and then off to heathrow?

Actually, if you can change your booking a bit, why not see Oxford and the Cotswolds earlier in your stay?

Then return to London, and finish your trip with easy access to Heathrow.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,049 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oxford or someother overnight stay and then off to heathrow?

The bus from Oxford to Heathrow is easy to use. I think it takes more like 2 hours though, depending on your stop. I would post on the Oxford forum regarding the reliability (lateness) of the buses though. I've only taken that bus once and it was in the other direction. I arrived at Heathrow, took the bus to Oxford, spent a few days there then finished my trip in London. I don't know if that would work for you or not.

I did see on one of the Oxford tourism websites that they estimate a taxi to cost about £55 to LHR. I don't know if there's a way for a taxi to get around traffic if there's an accident or something, which would be my concern. Of course that can happen going from London too, but then at least there's a choice of tube or taxi. From Oxford there's really only the road (or I guess train to London then tube to LHR, but that would add time).

I would probably try to leave by 10AM at the latest if I were doing this. I'd guess that would be after rush hour but give you a little leeway with the time. It also depends on whether you will be checking luggage and if you have priority check in at LHR, IME.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Oxford or someother overnight stay and then off to heathrow?

The OP is heading to Oxford on Friday morning, doing an afternoon tour with Cotswold Roaming, having an evening and night in Oxford then heading to Heathrow the next morning. At least that's what it seems like to me.

Take the Oxford Airline coach service from Gloucester Green bus station in Oxford to Heathrow Central Bus Station and/or Heathrow Terminal 4 on your departure day, journey time approx 90 to 100 minutes.