We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a car in London, leave it at Heathrow, is it ok?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Rent a car in London, leave it at Heathrow, is it ok?

Hi, I'm planning a 3 weeks vacation in UK. We arrive to Heathrow and will pass 3 days in London (already been there 2 others time).

After those 3 days, I plan to rent a car (not sure if there would be a better plate to get it in London, plan to go by the website autoeurope). Will then travel to Stonehenge, Oxford, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Iverness, .... and finally make our way back by Yorkshire and the east coast.

So I don't plan to go back to leave the car in London, I would like to go straight to Heathrow and leave the car there.

Is there a problem with this plan? Will there be extra cost because it's not the same return location?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
London
London
England, UK
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
11,420 Reviews
Amesbury, UK
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Yorkshire
Yorkshire
England, UK
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Rent a car in London, leave it at Heathrow, is it ok?

When we arrive at Heathrow, I dont want to rent the car because we will be spend 3 days in London and I dont want to drive there and find parking space. I want to rent the car when we will leave London for the rest of the trip.

I remember taking the train to Heathrow cost some money and I dont really want to travel back to Heathrow just to pick the car.

So thats why I want to pick it up when w leave London, and bring it back just before our flight at Heathrow.

I always think of Heathrow as London but its not and never rented a car that I wasent bringing back at the same place so Im worried about big extra fees.

If there is a cheap way to get back to Heathrow since the agency are not really AT the airport but next to it, mabye it would be worth it. But I think I remember that the train to Heathrow was like 25-30 pounds. So im not sure what is the best solution.

Edited: 27 June 2013, 15:05
Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
London
London
England, UK
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Rent a car in London, leave it at Heathrow, is it ok?

Oh wow.... just realized you could take the tube to Heathrow... never knew this, always took the express train to the airport. I guess that would be much simplier.

I missed the first reply from Geegesh, thanks. Also thanks StickyToffee and everyone.

On google maps its say it take 1 hour, I think it's worth it to avoid driving in central London and the tube fare is only 5 pounds I think so I guess that's what I'lll do.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
London
London
England, UK
Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Rent a car in London, leave it at Heathrow, is it ok?

yes, that's exactly what you should do, tube in, tube out, pick up the car and go.

Happy Travels!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Rent a car in London, leave it at Heathrow, is it ok?

On a weekday, you will pay £10 congestion charge just for the privilege of driving in central London. This will be on top of the hire charge. Driving in central London is no fun and it's easy to get lost. Taking the tube back to Heathrow and then the rental car company's shuttle bus to their depot is much more sensible, particularly if you are heading west out of London anyway.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
15. Re: Rent a car in London, leave it at Heathrow, is it ok?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2014, 06:20