We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eurostar London to Paris

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
183 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Eurostar London to Paris

Does anyone know if the luggage rack on the Eurostar is secured?

Thanks.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,254 reviews
from US$127.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
456 reviews
from US$106.00*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,085 reviews
from US$150.40*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.90*
US$336.60
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,316 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eurostar London to Paris

This website has lots of pictures and should answer all your questions.

seat61.com/London-to-Paris-by-train.htm#Watc…

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
6,459 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eurostar London to Paris

Secured from what? While on the move nobody is likely to be running up and down the aisle with your case and when the train pulls into the station you'll be next to your luggage. The only possible cause of anxiety is if there is an intermediate stop in which case the cautious might want to stand close to the luggage racks.

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
183 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eurostar London to Paris

Thanks. Perfect site for info.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
205 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eurostar London to Paris

Nope they are not secured. They are just racks at both ends of the carriage. Having used the racks on the Eurostar whenever I travel on that train, I would say your bags are quite safe as only a couple of stops in between. Another TA forum topic mentioned that due to the high cost of the tickets it is unlikely someone would buy a ticket to commit theft on the train but then again case of mistaken bags might occur. So do mark your bags with ribbons or stickers to reduce this probablity.

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
183 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eurostar London to Paris

Thanks so much.

London, United...
Level Contributor
298 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eurostar London to Paris

When travelling on trains in the UK or abroad, I commonly use a bicycle lock to secure my case to the luggage rack. Given that it is the lockable hard shell type, this leaves me free to relax during the journey without having to keep an eye on it. The locks are cheap and light and (for me) the peace of mind is worth it... not that I've ever had anything stolen on a train mind you :)

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eurostar London to Paris

< When travelling on trains in the UK or abroad, I commonly use a bicycle lock to secure my case to the luggage rack >

Thus blithely disregarding the annoyance caused to other people who might have to move your case to get at their own - especially on racks like those on the Eurostar, where cases may have to be placed on top of one other.

For pity's sake, why are some people so selfish, stupid and unimaginative ?

Can you not imagine what would happen if everybody tried to do this ?

Edited: 28 June 2013, 16:30
8. Re: Eurostar London to Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 06:19