We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London early morning peakhour.

sydney
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
London early morning peakhour.

We will be staying in Westminster and need to get to King Cross station for a 9am train to Scotland. How early do we need to leave our hotel if travelling by taxi? I have the option of booking an 11 am train to avoid the peak hour. Input would be appreciated.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
439 reviews
from US$104.40*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
628 reviews
from US$100.10*
Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,722 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London early morning peakhour.

I'd get a taxi at 8.

Funnily enough, "peak hour" travel concerns in London generally relate to crowded tubes and buses - driving cars in central London is but a distant memory for many of us.

Mike

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,993 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London early morning peakhour.

There is hardly any difference in traffic at 8:00 than 10:00. If anything the streets will be slightly quieter at 8:00.

London, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London early morning peakhour.

Also, off topic, but pay the extra and go first class on the train, it's worth it for the long trip to Scotland.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,417 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London early morning peakhour.

All being well the taxi journey should be about 15 minutes. The station complex is quite big so give yourself a good 15 or 20 minutes breathing time there too if you have pre -booked your tickets and longer if you want to buy a newspaper or sandwich etc. These trains are normally very busy so I assume you have reserved a seat too along with your booking.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,385 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: London early morning peakhour.

< Also, off topic, but pay the extra and go first class on the train, it's worth it for the long trip to Scotland. >

Sometimes 1st Class can be cheaper than Standard Class - especially if you are likely to require wi-fi and a hot meal.

If not then consider the Quiet Coach at the extreme front of the train which tends not to be full except on really busy days.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London early morning peakhour.

Go as early as possible, there will still be traffic at 8, I would say earlier even if it means you have to hang around a bit

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London early morning peakhour.

Yes agree with last post go earlier if you have time to kill pop into St Pancras stn opposite as this is well worth a look at, with nice coffee shops and lovely little shops and M+S for cheap snax

Edited: 29 June 2013, 23:31
sydney
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London early morning peakhour.

Thanks everyone this is most helpful. Yes, we plan to pay the extra to go first class.

Level Contributor
3,425 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London early morning peakhour.

I'd question the first class advice, the benefits arent that great. I'd only consider it if the cost is comparable, or a very small premium, otherwise an Advance ticket, with a specific seat is a better option unless you have cash to burn.

10. Re: London early morning peakhour.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2014, 07:18