We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Informal dining in London

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
545 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Informal dining in London

My daughter is in London for a while and for some reason is resorting to eating at MacDonalds and Pizza Hut type places, Are there any informal restaurants or an area rich in food trucks in Londons downtown core that she can go to avoid eating in American fast food joints? She's staying at the Steam Engine Hostel..

Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,260 reviews
from US$126.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
457 reviews
from US$105.50*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from US$149.70*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$301.60*
US$335.10
London, United...
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Informal dining in London

There are hundreds , possibly thousands of informal restaurants in London. . Perhaps she doesn't want to eat anywhere else?

What about Wagamama, Leon, Giraffe, Pizza Express, Canteen, Eat!, Pret a Manger as a start.

Essex
Level Contributor
29,115 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Informal dining in London

Most of the Chinatown Chinese Restaurants are informal, there are still some small independent cafes and restaurants that sre often reasonably priced. London has simply tons of places to eat that are casual and not outrageous in price...

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
545 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Informal dining in London

Thanks. as yet i havent asked her why she is resorting to fast food joints i just got a brief email saying she isnt liking London food and the MacDonalds and Pizza Huts are also horrible..

I dont understand what her problem is at this point..

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Informal dining in London

Stockpot, one on Panton Street, one on Old Compton Street. They serve great value traditional English and Continental food at very reasonable prices. They are much thought of by regulars here.

Edited: 29 June 2013, 13:28
London, United...
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Informal dining in London

If she is looking for something healthier and fresh in addition to being reasonably priced then the Leon chain should be about right.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Informal dining in London

Perhaps, a bit like our grown up daughters - though not sometimes as 'grown up' as we would like - your daughter is so busy doing what young ones do in a vibrant and buzzing capital city that she simply doesn't want to waste time trawling through streets looking for suitable eateries, as a possible option why not point her towards Marks & Spencers food halls, Sainsburys, or Tescos, of which there are plenty in London, to pick up ready made sandwiches, salads, sushi, or other such edibles, with ready made fresh fruit salads, yogurts, etc., to eat whilst on the move.

Also, if she is old enough to go in a pub unaccompanied most pubs in London do pub food which is cheap and cheerful.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Informal dining in London

Sorry, meant to add in the post above that I am assuming your daughter is not eating alone but with friends etc., otherwise eating in a pub for a lone female is daunting I know.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,508 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Informal dining in London

There are loads of options of food from all over the world she probably just likes McDonalds and Pizza Hut.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
545 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Informal dining in London

She is indeed with a rather large friend who i'm wondering if the fast food isnt her idea,as the friend is a manager at a local MacDonalds.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Informal dining in London

See this list: https:/…edit