We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far can the bus take me?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vasteras, Sweden
Level Contributor
182 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
How far can the bus take me?

I have a 7 day travel card (Oyster) for zones 1 and 2. Planning on taking the bus from Oxford Circus to Stratford, but that is in zone 3. Will my travel card cover that? And take me home as well?

Another question: is it easier to take the tube as far as zone 2 allows and them continue by bus? What bus line?

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far can the bus take me?

The bus will take you to Stratford from centre but not back you'll need to get back to zone 2 to use your travelcard

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far can the bus take me?

I would reccomend getting a zone 1-3 travel card as then you can get the central line straight from Oxford circus to Stratford which takes 30 mins

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,599 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far can the bus take me?

The number 25 from Oxford Circus towards Ilford will take you to and from Stratford; I don't know what post number one means with 'to Stratford from centre but not back.'

All Travelcards include bus travel in zones 1 - 6 no matter the zones purchased. You may take the Underground to Mile End and the 25 or 425 from there to Stratford bus station. The 339 from Grove Road will take you to the bus station near Westfield shopping centre if that' s your destination. It's a slower service through Fish Island and only runs four times an hour, but it's handy for Westfield. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/mile…

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,088 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How far can the bus take me?

TravelerPlus' advice is the most authoritative. I've often thought she once worked for Transport for London, but that's probably only my imagination going wild here.

London
Level Contributor
9,292 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How far can the bus take me?

Although your travelcard is valid, I would not recommend taking the bus all the way: the journey will take for ever. Take the tube to Mile End (which is in zone 2) then take the bus from there. The bus stop is directly outside the station (opposite side of road to get to Stratford).

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How far can the bus take me?

There's another obvious solution that nobody has mentioned: add some PAYG credit to your Oyster card then make the whole journey to Stratford by tube. It will cost a little extra, but does remove the need to get off the tube and switch to a bus at Mile End - something which isn't worth doing, IMO, just to save £1.50 each way (assuming you're travelling off-peak).

Vasteras, Sweden
Level Contributor
182 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How far can the bus take me?

Thank you all for the replies.

London
Level Contributor
9,292 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How far can the bus take me?

Agree, I'd pay the extra to go by tube. The bus route has to negotiate the Bow flyover roundabout, which is usually a slow bottleneck.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How far can the bus take me?

If you're going the concert in the Olympic Park give yourself plenty of time to get there and get back as it will be very busy. You can also take the Central Line from Oxford Circus to Liverpool Street and then take the overground to Stratford (one stop). From the station it's about a 10-15 minute walk through Westfield Shopping Centre (there's stewards everywhere to guide you). Bar queues are horrendous by the way, unless you have a hospitality ticket your wait for beer will probably exceed half an hour.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How far can the bus take me?

I agree, tube is far faster for what you want than the bus. The overground from Liverpool Street to Strarford is fast and normally goes from the platforms at the right hand end of the station, where services to say Southend leave from but this might have changed but I think due to the way the station is used its likely not to have changed. I think it might be half a dozen of one and the same for the other but if you are at Oxford circus, you'd be one stop or so from Greene Park and the Jubilee Line to Stratford goes from there it depends if you want to explore the area towards Stratford in that direction on route such as Canary Wharf and seeing the 02 (Former Millenium Dome) it just depends on how long you want to spend travelling and wether you want to see things on route. I must admit the change at Green Park does seem to take forever by lift but its up to you on what you want to do on route.