We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekly travelcard zone 1-2 vs 1-6

Tel Aviv, Israel
4 posts
Save Topic
Weekly travelcard zone 1-2 vs 1-6

Hi everyone,

I will be traveling to London for a week.

I know that usually the recommendation is to buy only the 1-2 zone travelcard, and to pay with Oyster for the trip(s) outside zones 1-2.

But - I plan to visit on three of the days during the week: Kew gardens, Hampton court, Windsor castle (the rest will be inside zones 1-2).

I will not use the card for getting from the airport to central london, but i will use it for the tube back to Heathrow (zone 6 again), so this is another use outside of zones 1-2.

I have been trying to calculate whether paying with oyster for the travel outside of zones 1-2 (paying for zones 3-6) is cost-effective, but it is too complicated for me. Can anybody help me on this?

Thank you.

Edited: 30 June 2013, 16:56
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekly travelcard zone 1-2 vs 1-6

You can also get a travelcard extension that will save you some money.

Here is how to do it by train for WIndsor:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c157699/Winds…

Scroll down to see how you can get a travelcard extension--the same math should apply for Kew and Hampton Court Palace.

Then compare your outlay. Weekly 1-2 with extensions to weekly 1-6 without.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,801 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekly travelcard zone 1-2 vs 1-6

Windsor castle is well outside the london travel zones so you can remove that. IF you are placing a travelcard on a oystercard (and not taking advantage of 2-4-1 offers - see top right of this forum) then it's easy. You simply put some pay as you go cash onto your oystercard and it will do the maths for you by charging you for 2-3 on each occassion.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,051 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekly travelcard zone 1-2 vs 1-6

Windsor is beyond the TfL zones, so you will need to buy a separate rail ticket for that journey in any event. No need to book in advance, walk up off peak fare is £10 return.

Kew Gardens station is on the boundary of zones 3 and 4, so a Travelcard for zones 1 - 3 at £35.20 plus some extra PAYG money will be cheaper than a zones 1 - 6 card for £55.60.

Have the Travelcard loaded on an Oyster card and add some PAYG money for the Oyster excess fares for out of zone travels. The peak / off peak excess fares from the boundary of zone 3 to zone 6 are £2.70 / £1.50.

Tel Aviv, Israel
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekly travelcard zone 1-2 vs 1-6

Thank you all for your informative replies.

I have found out that if i add the travelcard option to the London Pass (which gives me a weekly 1-6 zone travelcard, in addition to the London Pass i intend to buy anyway), then the travel to Windsor is included (the website states "London Pass Travel option covers the train connection to and from Windsor").

So -

The extra cost of the London Pass Travel option compared to a 1-2 zone travelcard is £23.6 (£54 compared to £30.4).

This saves me the following PAYG extra cost with a 1-2 zone travelcard :

£9 Windsor return 1-2 travelcard extension.

£2.3*2 Peak to and from Kew (£1.5 if off-peak)

£2.7*2 Peak to and from Hampton court (£1.5 if off-peak)

£2.7 Peak to Heathrow

Maximum total PAYG extra fees £23.7, which is about the same as the extra cost for the London Pass Travel option.

It seems that even in this situation the London Pass Travel option (a weekly travelcard including Windsor travel) is not worth it. Is my math correct ?

Edited: 01 July 2013, 00:08
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekly travelcard zone 1-2 vs 1-6

The Travel Pass is never worth it.

The London Pass is rarely worth it.

Give us a better idea of your itinerary. There are other ways to save money.

Tel Aviv, Israel
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekly travelcard zone 1-2 vs 1-6

I have built my itineary around the london pass attractions (a few a day), which covers most of the main touristic "musts" (it's my first time in london) so it will surely be worth it for me.

I could use the 2 for 1 offers, but not for so many nice attractions, and it seems so much easier with the london pass.

The main (paid for) attractions i intend to see are:

Day 1: Tower of london. tower bridge exhibition, HMS belfast

Day 2: Westminster abbey, Churchill war rooms, Thames river cruises

Day 3: London bridge experience, Shakespear globe theatre, St. Pauls cathedral (& more)

Day 4: Bucycle tour, Hampton court

Day 5: Jason canal boat trip, Windsor + Eton

Day 6: Kew & more...

Also - maybe see a movie in one of the evenings etc...

And again - if someone also has any insight on my original travelcard post anf thread - let me know :)

Edited: 01 July 2013, 01:19
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekly travelcard zone 1-2 vs 1-6

Have you checked Hoogo's wonderful spreadsheet?

tripadvisor.com/…49868043

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekly travelcard zone 1-2 vs 1-6

If you build your itinerary around the London Card, you miss out on London's free attractions. If it's your first time in London, unless you have a great interest in military history, I would skip HMS Belfast in favour of the British Museum (free), National Gallery (free), Victoria and Albert Museum (free), Natural History Museum (free) etc. I have never been to the London Bridge experience, but it does not get great reviews on this forum. London Bridge is an extremely ordinary river crossing. Tower Bridge is the iconic one, but it's more interesting to look at from the outside (unless you have a particular interest in hydraulics).

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,757 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weekly travelcard zone 1-2 vs 1-6

Day 4: Bucycle tour, Hampton court

Day 5: Jason canal boat trip, Windsor + Eton

Hampton Court and Windsor would be better on the same day. Camden then Windsor is a bit of a trek

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weekly travelcard zone 1-2 vs 1-6

Hampton Court and Windsor would be better on the same day.

No one advocates doing Hampton Court and Windsor on the same day. The transport links between the two are not good, and would either be time consuming or expensive, or a little of both.

If an OP did try this, they would have to scrap any idea of going to Eton, or bicycling before entering HCP. (which, by the way, is another 2-4-1)