We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mastercard and ATMs

washington, DC
Level Contributor
89 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Mastercard and ATMs

Hi all,

I've read here that accessing funds from ATMs is easy, and to just make sure that your debit card has the visa logo. My Capital One bank has a Mastercard affiliation. Has anyone had experience with that?

Thanks,

Rick

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,372 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mastercard and ATMs

Mastercard is fine. Just make sure you have a 4 digit PIN. And notify the card company of your travel plans so they don't slap a "fraud stop" on the card.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mastercard and ATMs

Just make sure you have a four digit (not letters) PIN number. Also, when you insert the card into the reader, you leave it in there or let it suck the card in whilst you make the transaction, as opposed to inserting and removing the card as in the US

washington, DC
Level Contributor
89 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mastercard and ATMs

thanks all; got the pin and will notify card issuer!

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mastercard and ATMs

Mastercard here is known as a credit card. If you are using yours in a British ATM would you be getting out a credit card loan? That attracts immediate and very high interest charges.

British card are either debit or credit. WE do have separate Visa credit and Visa debit cards but I have never seen or heard of a Mastercard debit card.

UK ATMs do not give the option of which account you wish to use with a card as in Britain we have separate cards for every current (US checking) account. We cannot access savings accounts from an ATM and we have separate credit and debit cards.

You may know all this but I would not like you to get caught out.

Edited: 01 July 2013, 22:06
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mastercard and ATMs

MasterCard debit cards do exist in the UK - I have one myself. They are a fairly recent innovation - 3 or 4 years old??

They are a rebranded maestro in effect

Edited: 01 July 2013, 22:20
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,084 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mastercard and ATMs

>>We cannot access savings accounts from an ATM<<

Um yes we can. I'm not sure what the relevance of that is anyway?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mastercard and ATMs

I have a CapitalOne debit card and had no problems- you'll be fine. I would notify the bank that you'll be traveling to London to insure that the funds will be available.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,760 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mastercard and ATMs

@ Bungle73 - many US bank cards offer you a choice of account to withdraw from, i.e. current or savings. UK banks issue separate cards for that.

9. Re: Mastercard and ATMs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2014, 05:18