We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trips from London

Prague, Czech...
3 posts
Save Topic
Trips from London

During my stay in London, I would like to do 2 one-day trips; the first one to Brighton and the second one to Stratford-upon-Avon with a short stop at Warwick castle. Because I need to know the approximate price, I tried to find the tickets in advance (but I want to buy them on the train station in London). But the system of tickets and trains seems very complicated to me, because in Czech you simply buy a return ticket to the place you want to visit and you can go by every train during the day, whenever you want to. I certainly don´t know if we will have fun in Brighton or not, so I cannot say the exact time of our return to London. Do you have any suggestion what should I do and how can I find out the price of tickets? If the tickets will be too expensive, I will think about other activities…

Thank you in advance for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Warwick Castle
Warwick Castle
12,186 Reviews
Warwick, UK
London
London
England, UK
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
Stratford-upon-Avon
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire, UK
Warwick Castle Full-Day Admission...
20 Reviews
from US$18.80*
Warwick Castle, Oxford, Cotswolds...
176 Reviews
from US$85.50*
Special Offer
Oxford, Warwick Castle...
352 Reviews
from US$129.10*
US$143.50
Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trips from London

Warwick Castle is incredibly expensive. Either do a short trip to the town, and the outside of the castle, or aim to spend a long time inside to get yoru money's worth. I prefer Kenilworth Castle myself.

There are 2 for 1 vouchers available for Warwick castle - currently available on boxes of some breakfast cereals in supermarkets! Probabyl elsewhere too.

Rail tickets can be expensive. Look at 'off peak returns' for tickets you can use on most trains, but not at peak hours. 'advance tickets' are the cheapest, but only valid on specific trains.

Prague, Czech...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trips from London

Yes, I was thinking only about the outside of the castle and the town.

Kenilworth Castle looks beautifull, thank you for your suggestion. Can I also get there by a train or bus?

But when exactly are peak hours? And what if the train goes during the peak and also off peak hours? And if I buy the off peak ticket, can I use it for EVERY train during the off peak hours? I don´t want to stay in Stratfor during night just because of invalid ticket... I know my questions might seem silly, but we don´t make any difference between the peak and off peak tickets, only the distance is important for the price.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,299 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trips from London

Hi,

Train tickets are a real minefield and even ticket counters at the stations can have a hard time working out the cheapest fares. But as mentioned advance purchase is usually the cheapest option but for the best fares you have to specify the train and the ticket is only valid for that train.

For Brighton a cheap day return (off peak) is good value and basically you can use any train after 9.30 and return on any train (there may be a restriction on returning trains between 5-7pm). At weekends you can use any trains. Peak hours are between 6-9.30am and from London between 4-7pm.

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
London
London
England, UK
4. Re: Trips from London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2014, 07:18