We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leadenhall Market

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
513 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Leadenhall Market

Looks like my kind of place. Some reviews note that very empty at times. Would mid day Monday or Tuesday in September offer any atmosphere?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leadenhall Market

Midday during the week will be busy, usually full of city office workers on their lunch breaks. Perhaps strange to those unfamiliar with the area, weekends are much much quieter than weekdays due to it's city location.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leadenhall Market

I work close to Leadenhall Market and would agree that lunchtimes from Monday to Friday is the best time to visit if you want atmosphere. It's not huge - you can walk through it in two minutes in a straight line! Saturday and Sunday are much, much quieter - in fact some of the shops and restaurants will be closed. Spitalfields Market is only a 10-15 minute walk north from there too, and makes an interesting comparison, with lots to see also.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,570 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leadenhall Market

Spitalfields and the Sunday UpMarket is liveliest on Sunday when Ledenhall is closed, although there are some stalls at Spitalfields other days. The Sunday UpMarket at the Truman Brewery has a wonderful array for food stalls and picnic tables to eat it at.

Spitalfields and the Sunday UpMarket can get very crowded in the afternoon so starting around 10 is best.

spitalfields.co.uk/markets.php#.UdR4kfnGLOc

http://www.sundayupmarket.co.uk/

cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/visiting-th…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,128 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Leadenhall Market

Leadenhall Market has some fabulous architectural features but I must say I was underwhelmed at the size number of vendors there. I had pictured something different in my mind - more along the lines of the markets that Leagle has linked above.

It's worth visiting but I would just go when it fits in with your itinerary instead of thinking you have to be there at a certain time.

Maryland
Level Contributor
513 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leadenhall Market

Thanks for the replies. Thought Spitafields was closed Sunday so that is an option if open then since visiting Su-M-TU. Looking for tapas like food and shellfish with a nice glass of wine.

London, United...
Level Contributor
403 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leadenhall Market

Very quiet in the mornings - busier at lunch times - but agree with other TA posters Spitalfields is more lively and very close by.

Essex
Level Contributor
175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leadenhall Market

There is a Tapas restaurant in Leadenhall market which is supposed to be nice.

Also if you go to Spittlefields try to also go to Brick Lane which is a 5 min walk and has lots of stalls and food from all over the world - defiantly an experience. I think it has to be a Sunday though.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leadenhall Market

When Leadenhall Marketwas built, lots of people still lived in the area and many more worked very long hours as city clerks and needed to buy their basic foodstuffs on the spot. It developed a speciality for butchers and game providers - the sort of pace that Scrooge would have sent out his order for a goose from. These days it is much less a market than an architectural survivor in which many of the shops have been changed into catering outlets for City workers who have somewhat different needs than those of 150 years ago.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leadenhall Market

Leadenhall Market is lovely and worth wandering through if you are in the area, but I'm not sure I would go out of my way to see it - underneath the beautiful architecture it is mostly chain stores and restaurants (a Pizza Express is still a Pizza Express, even in a nice building!). If you do go, I definitely agree with the suggestion to go in the middle of the day Monday-Friday, there won't be anybody there on a weekend.

Spitalfields is most definitely open on a Sunday (in fact, Sunday is the best day to go there) and well worth a visit.

London
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Leadenhall Market

Spitalfields, Brick Lane and the whole surrounding Hoxton/ Shoreditch area is anything but closed on Sundays.

In fact, they are heaving with activity so plenty of atmosphere and crowds.

And you will come across every cuisine that's ever been invented at good prices too.

Edited: 04 July 2013, 11:09