We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid Viator for London attraction tickets

Nashville, Tennessee
5 posts
Save Topic
Avoid Viator for London attraction tickets

This is a booking company, not a tour operator. We purchased tickets for a Thames River afternoon tea cruise on Bateaux London through them. Were turned away by the tour operator despite having confirmed tickets through Viator. Apologetic Bateaux representative explained the cruise had been sold out for weeks and that Viator had sold tickets for sold out cruises before despite efforts from the operator to get them to stop. She could not get Viator customer service on the line to assist us. We were eventually turned away in jackets and dresses to find a last minute alternative for afternoon tea in London. An awful way to start our trip.

I received no reply initially to my online complaint to Viator. A call to US cusromer service on my return revealed that they approved a refund 10 days after my email. No other follow up, no apology, just quietly giving me my money back for the fraudulent tickets they sold me. I can't muster much gratitude over them not outright stealing my money. Avoid Viator at all costs and book directly with the tour operator.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Avoid Viator for London attraction tickets

I did not miss the part in your original post where you said you spoke to US customer service on your return, but you did not say there that they admitted liability. It seems far more likely that in the interests of customer service they were not inclined to argue with you. 'A soft answer turneth away wrath' and all that, and I suspect you were not in the best of moods.

I am not sure how Bateaux London helped you. They sent you away, while Viator gave you a refund. I'm still uneasy about saying it is all Viator's fault because the main booking companies are linked electronically to their clients' sites. It simply shouldn't allow them to make a booking if there were no more places. We just don't know, but it seems odd that you think we should not be unjust to Bateaux London when you use such extreme language about Viator. If a company does have a policy of overbooking then blaming the agent is just what they would do, and their staff would probably be instructed about what to say in the circumstances.

Edited: 05 July 2013, 02:05
Nashville, Tennessee
5 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Avoid Viator for London attraction tickets

Ways Bateaux London helped me:

1. Called Viator customer service for me while I was standing at the desk, but could not get through to a customer service rep. Gave us contact info for Viator in the UK and the name of the Bateaux supervisor to involve in case Viator didn't process a refund for us.

2. Double checked to ensure there were no available places on the boat.

3. Gave us a list of available of seats on cruises for days later in our stay and offered to rebook us immediately to secure a spot, doing all of items 1-3 despite having boarding passengers waiting in line behind us (unfortunately, we had other reservations booked on the available days/times).

Ways Viator helped me:

1. Gave me a refund and didn't deny they were at fault, 10 days after the fact.

As you have no facts at all to support your speculations about my experience, I can only assume that you either (i) work for Viator (ii) have some axe to grind with Bateaux London, or (iii) practice your creative writing skills by posting hypotheticals regarding actual events of which you have absolutely no knowledge. In any event, I have said my piece and given my advice. I'll leave you to prattle on about the possible influence of sunspot activity or whatever else you'll suggest next.

Edited: 05 July 2013, 02:55
Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Avoid Viator for London attraction tickets

I have booked several tours with Viator over the past 12 months, and never had any problems. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again, in fact am going to use them again for a day trip from Rome to Pompeii in December.

San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Avoid Viator for London attraction tickets

Hello MusicCity000,

We're sorry to hear that you weren't able to attend your tour. We are currently communicating with the Tour Operator to see where the communication breakdown in reference to the black out dates, and your reservation. I wish to assure you that we are taking every step necessary to ensure that communication between ourselves, and the Tour Operator is smooth, and we have the most up to date information concerning any tour blackouts. I do show that we refunded your tour in full as soon as we were notified that you were unable to attend.

If you would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to write us at socialteam@viator.com. We do hope the rest of your trip was excellent.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Avoid Viator for London attraction tickets

We, a family of 4, reserved a London Tour with Viator who are using Evan Evans busses on Friday June 28, 2013. Complete mismanagement, incompetence, lack of respect, and non existing customer service on their part, caused us to be thrown off the tour bus by their "guide" (Richard) in a heavy rainy day. Be warned !!! if you have a Jewish last name, be prepared for a rude awakening, especially when this guide (Richard) is tipsy. We were directed by 3 different Evan Evans personnel to board the bus, and even though we paid for a whole day tour ,we received only an hour and a half. We e-mailed Viator 3 times at no response.

Don't waste your money !

16. Re: Avoid Viator for London attraction tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2014, 07:19