We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long is seven days?

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
How long is seven days?

No, really it is two questions:

1. OK, I arrive at Heathrow tonight and put a seven day travel card on my Oyster, but I do not use my card until sometime tomorrow. Do I correctly assume the seven days begins with first usage and not with purchase.

2. Say I first use the card at noon on Saturday. When are my seven days up? At the end of Friday, the seventh day, at noon the following Saturday, or some other time?

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long is seven days?

A 7 day travelcard starts at any time from 04.30 on a Saturday will be valid until 04.29 the following Saturday.

You can ask for it to start on the Saturday if you arrive on a Friday, what are your plans to get from the airport to where you are staying? Adding pay as you go credit will allow you to travel on the Friday.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,529 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How long is seven days?

The 7 days starts on the date you specify when buying the card, the default is today whether it's 6:00am or 11:59pm.

If you state that the card will start on Saturday then it's usable up to 4:30am the following Sunday

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,529 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How long is seven days?

Note if "I" is "we" and you intend using the 2-4-1 offers then no Travelcard bought at Heathrow is eligible for the offers

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long is seven days?

Thanks. Arriving Heathrow Terminal One tonight around 10pm, though the plane is already a little late and I am not yet to the airport. I will tell the machine it starts on Saturday. It is good to know I need to do that.

But I got two different answers. Does it end 0429 on Saturday or Sunday? I am guessing Saturday, but would love the longer answer. Will add some PAYGO in any event.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long is seven days?

'I will tell the machine it starts on Saturday' Think you may have to tell the person at the ticket office to start it on the Saturday. I would have thought Saturday to Sunday would have been an 8 day ticket others may confirm which is correct.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,583 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long is seven days?

If you start it on Saturday it'll end the following Saturday at 4:29am.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long is seven days?

You will almost certainly have to speak to a real person to get a ticket starting on a day later than the day of purchase.

A seven day travel card purchased to start tomorrow (6 July) will be valid until 04.29 on the morning of 12 July (the following Saturday).

The 04.29 thing is a bit of a red herring for most people. The card lasts seven calendar days, regardless of the time of day of firsy use. But does not finish at midnight on the 7th day. It continues into the early hours of the next day to allow journeys home even if they start a bit after midnight

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long is seven days?

Thanks everyone. I hoped to save a minute or two by picking up the travel pass while getting my Connect ticket to Ealing, but it should be just as easy to put it on the card tomorrow at the tube station before setting out for the day.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,668 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long is seven days?

<< You will almost certainly have to speak to a real person to get a ticket starting on a day later than the day of purchase. >>

No - the machine asks when you want it to start. As does the computer if you add it on-line.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,529 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How long is seven days?

< If you start it on Saturday it'll end the following Saturday at 4:29am. >

It will end at 4:29am on the following SUNDAY as a Travelcard day is 4:30am to 4:29am the next morning