We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Train - Gatwick to Newton Abbot

Mississauga, Ontario
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Booking Train - Gatwick to Newton Abbot

We need to book train tickets from Gatwick Airport to Newton Abbot for Saturday Sept. 21st. I have been checking the National Rail website so I can book the cheaper Advance Tickets as soon as they become available. From what I have read, Virgin Trains website does not add on any additional charges, is it okay to use them? Can I then use a machine at Gatwick Airport train station to print out all my tickets? We have two other journeys to book - Newton Abbot to St Ives (St Erth) Sept 28, then St Ives back to Paddington Oct 5.

The routing that National Rail gives me for our first journey is from Gatwick Airport with a stop in Reading and then onward to Newton Abbot. If I understand correctly on the website I think we need to change trains in Reading. The tickets I'm looking at leave Gatwick at 10:03 and get into Reading at 11:19 then leaving Reading at 11:34. Will this give us enough time to make the connection at Reading? Are the trains usually very punctual? I believe the other two journeys are direct station to station with no changes so I won't have to worry about getting stranded somewhere.

As always, I very much appreciate everyone's expert advice on this forum. I'd never survive my trips without you.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,107 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking Train - Gatwick to Newton Abbot

You can book with Virgin Trains or First Great Western; no actual train operating company is allowed to put a service fee on ticket sales, but resellers like Rail Europe or TheTrainLine do, and rarely give the best deal.

The National Rail planner wouldn't offer that connection at Reading if it weren't possible, and that's more than enough time. If you miss your connection because the train from LGW is delayed, you will be accommodated on the next one. However, if you miss it due to your own fault, you have to pay for a new ticket. You can collect your tickets at LGW but will need the credit card you used to book plus the reference number for your booking.

There's probably no advantage to buying Newton Abbott - St Ives as it's a local journey.

London, United...
Level Contributor
7,727 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking Train - Gatwick to Newton Abbot

What time are you arriving at Gatwick, you should allow for any delays in your flight or waiting for immigration or luggage. Also if you land at the north terminal you will need to get the shuttle to the south terminal where the train station is located.

Mississauga, Ontario
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking Train - Gatwick to Newton Abbot

Thanks darrenmcc and ElmersEnd. We are actually arriving from Canada Friday morning and spending the Friday night at the Premier Inn at the North Terminal so we can shake off a bit of jet lag. We'll get up Saturday morning to catch the train so we should be safe to pick an Advance Ticket time as nothing should delay us taking the shuttle to the station from our hotel. We don't have to be in Newton Abbot until mid-afternoon.

I see the Advance Fares are starting to show up today and the change-over at the Reading Station is a little longer than it was showing on earlier dates in September. Makes the total trip time longer though.

4. Re: Booking Train - Gatwick to Newton Abbot

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2014, 06:18