We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tube tickets

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Tube tickets

I have some elderly friends who will be crossing London with very little time to spare to catch their connection. The last time they made this trip they spent so long queuing for tube tickets that they almost missed their next train so they are very anxious. I had hoped that a friend who lives in London could have bought their tickets in advance and sent them on but she has been told they must be bought on the day of travel. I know they can purchase a one day off peak ticket online and have it delivered but this would cost more than double the cost of their single journey ticket. They will only be using the tube for travel between Euston and Victoria and will not be returning to London on this holiday. Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem? Thanks for any information

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,951 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tube tickets

I have the very strong impression that they have actually bought separate tickets, instead of a through ticket.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,539 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tube tickets

Just get a taxi if this is causing so much stress. It won't be much more than 2 single tube tickets (I would guess £10-15 depending on traffic) and in the future buy through tickets on the train.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tube tickets

Thanks for all the information. Can I ask one more question and sorry if I appear stupid. If they have a through ticket which includes the tube ticket, do they put this through the tube ticket barrier? As you can see, I seldom use the tube. When in London I am usually walking from Euston to St Pancras to catch the Eurostar

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,539 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Tube tickets

In most cases yes, you can put a through ticket in the tube barrier as normal.

My mum has a senior railcard and sometimes tickets bought using that are rejected by the barrier (but not always) so she has to go and show her ticket and railcard to the attendent to get through. No big deal though. Adds about 1 minute to the journey.

UK
Level Contributor
6,893 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Tube tickets

Have a look at the ticket. Is there a cross on it? (You need to look for one that looks like the Christian cross). If there is then the Tube journey is included.

If you're buying separate tickets you should be able to include the Tube with one of them by buying a ticket to Zone 1 rather than your London terminus.

UK
Level Contributor
6,893 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Tube tickets

Another suggestion - if these are separate tickets, and they have already been bought, and the Tube is not included, then I would suggest getting Oyster cards rather than cash tickets. It's cheaper (Oyster fares are always cheaper than cash fares), and they will cover you for both outbound and return... and for any future journeys if you put enough money on them.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Tube tickets

Thanks for all the information. Much appreciated

18. Re: Tube tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2014, 06:18