We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow to Hampton Court Palace in London?

Texas
Level Contributor
673 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow to Hampton Court Palace in London?

How doable would it be to travel directly from Heathrow arrival in London to Hampton Court Palace? I'm mainly concerned what we might do with our luggage. My idea is to do 2-3 hours there, then board the train into London Waterloo station which is right behind our hotel.

Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
761 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Heathrow to Hampton Court Palace in London?

My husband and I spent the better part of the day at Hampton Court Palace. We did the audio tour of only Henry VIII's court and the Kitchens, and barely scratched the surface - that part of the tour took 4 hours. By the time we got back to our flat, it was 6:30 and we were pretty tired. You could easily spend a whole day or more just there.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,252 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Heathrow to Hampton Court Palace in London?

>>You said your hotel is right by Waterloo station, so just get the train to Hampton Court. It takes less than half an hour <<

Actually it takes 36 minutes; and the trains are every half an hour.

Texas
Level Contributor
673 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Heathrow to Hampton Court Palace in London?

I think we will have to wait until we see how well we pack. I never have any difficulty packing everything into a carry on, but my husband is a very tall man. At six foot five, his slacks and shirts take up a good deal more room than mine. If we manage to pack everything into carry on cases as I hope, I think it could work nicely. Just over an hour on bus 111 to the stop at the edge of the green nearest the castle, and if it takes us four or five hours it won't matter. Then on to the hotel via the train at just over 30 minutes. It ought to put us there just in time to for check-in. Plenty of places for dinner nearby should make an early bedtime a cinch.

As far as the Hoho bus goes, I know it is slow. It solves a problem for us, though. My spouse has never been to England and has expressed a desire to at least get an overview of the city. In fact, his only expressed wishes for this trip are Hampton Court Palace, a theater show, the Hoho bus, a visit to the Tower of London, and a drive over the London Bridge. I rather look forward to all of that. As I mentioned, the only time I rode the Hoho bus was last trip on the day of arrival. I tend to sleep during car travel anyways, and combined with the jet lag I didn't even miss leaning back my seat.

Edited: 07 July 2013, 23:48
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,823 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Heathrow to Hampton Court Palace in London?

You can take the 111 bus from Heathrow Central Bus station, with the journey taking an hour. Or, you can take the tube (Piccadilly line) to Hounslow East, and pick up the 111 from there (stop DD right outside the station entrance). That will save you up to 20 minutes, and Hounslow East is step free with lifts from platform to street level.

tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…hounslow-a4.pdf

…tfl.gov.uk/user/AHF/TLJJP17P1__00005e80.pdf

Texas
Level Contributor
673 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Heathrow to Hampton Court Palace in London?

Thank you, USBusinessTraveller. I think that will help out a good bit. :)

16. Re: Heathrow to Hampton Court Palace in London?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 06:20