We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

World Cup... Big Screens in Trafalgar Square?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
917 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
World Cup... Big Screens in Trafalgar Square?

Hi,

Just wondering where the big screen action in going on in London? In Leeds we have millennium square. Taking my family next weekend so would like to watch the England match on the big screen - pref. not in a pub.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: World Cup... Big Screens in Trafalgar Square?

Now THAT's a reason to join a mob in Trafalgar Square. Sounds like fun.

Level Contributor
917 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: World Cup... Big Screens in Trafalgar Square?

Sure is.

London
Level Contributor
206 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: World Cup... Big Screens in Trafalgar Square?

I'm 90% sure there hasn't been a screen in Trafalgar Square for either of the England games so far, so I doubt if there will be one for England v Sweden. (There was one for England v Brazil in Japan in the last World Cup, but the kick off was 7.30am, and perhaps that made it easier to get permission - less risk of drunkenness). There was a big screen in Canary Wharf for England v Paraguay, but there was trouble ... …yahoo.com/12062006/325/big-screen-ban-londo…

Time Out has a useful guide to watching the World Cup in London ...

timeout.com/london/…articleAfterMpu

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: World Cup... Big Screens in Trafalgar Square?

They had big screens in London and Manchester but the last I'd heard was they were going to stop using them because of the typical mindless trouble a few english fans cause.

Whats new !

Level Contributor
917 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: World Cup... Big Screens in Trafalgar Square?

Thanks for the info.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: World Cup... Big Screens in Trafalgar Square?

The only one I have seen in London is between Tower Bridge and City Hall (Potters Field). It looks like a large boucy castle with tiered seats.

There was also one at Canary Wharf and one planed for Broadgate, but that's all scrapped

www.finextra.com/fullstory.asp?id=15442

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: World Cup... Big Screens in Trafalgar Square?

What a shame! The tyranny of the few, again.

London, United...
Level Contributor
419 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: World Cup... Big Screens in Trafalgar Square?

Was in Tafalger Sqaure today and there was no screen, but instead some Sri Lanken fesitval, including a stage for performers and food stalls.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,679 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: World Cup... Big Screens in Trafalgar Square?

The Time Out url mentioned by Fluiman is by far the most comprehensive list of places in London that are showing games.

May I congratulate the USA on their battling draw with Italy this evening. Despite going down to 9 men, they thoroughly deserved their point. The result also means that the street outside our house will not be full of Italians driving, honking their car horns and partying until the early hours.

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: World Cup... Big Screens in Trafalgar Square?

It also means that any two from the group of four can still qualify for the next round..... No pressure on anyone...