We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Paul's or Westminster

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
35 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
St Paul's or Westminster

If I can only visit one as a "sightseer" which should I shell out for?

Also, I would like to attend an Evensong service. Which should I attend for this?

Thanks,

Matt

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: St Paul's or Westminster

They are very different that I personally don't think it's an either/or decision. They are both worth visiting.

www.smartsave.com/uk/st-pauls-cathedral is a link to a 20% discount voucher for St Paul's. You may as well save a few pounds if you choose to visit.

Virginia
Level Contributor
591 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Paul's or Westminster

This has been asked before:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k53253…

My personal choice is Westminster Abbey but neither choice is the wrong choice. Which one fits better into your itinerary?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
729 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Paul's or Westminster

I'd second hotdoggirl's suggestion of looking at which best fits your itinerary. Also, have you considered making one your tourist stop - and perhaps the other your evensong visit?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Paul's or Westminster

Although both are interesting in their own right, I'd vote for St. Paul's. We went to both last year, and enjoyed St. Paul's more. We enjoyed climbing the stairs, and getting some phenomenal views/pictures from above.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: St Paul's or Westminster

I was just in London and saw both and loved both but if I had to choose, I would choose Westminster, being older, Gothic architecture being more to my taste, and more tombs of more famous people, more royalty, esp Queen Elizabeth I. Make sure you check visiting hours. Both are closed on Sunday except for worship. Also check website ahead to check for closings or partial closings on your visiting day due to special events.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,535 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Paul's or Westminster

Do one to tour and one for Evensong. Not ideal and no idea which way round. You might surprise yourself and end up going to both, time being an elastic concept:)

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Paul's or Westminster

I vote for St. Paul's for Evensong - it's more open as a building, so you can see more of what's going on. Also - it appears to me - the stewards at Westminster Abbey seem to guard Evensong from outsiders, until you convince them you really are staying for it, while the stewards at St. Paul's seem to welcome people in. Just my feeling.

I also prefer St. Paul's for a tour but that's just my feeling too.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,626 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: St Paul's or Westminster

Westminster Abbey has played a major role in English life for nearly 1,000 years and like most major Christian churches has been getting tinkered with almost continuously since it was built. You're getting a slice of the last thousand years of our history in its tombs, memorials, quirky bits of pre-Reformation art that the loonies never managed to destroy completely and in all sorts of other traces left over the years. But it still looks like most other great European medieval cathedrals and monumental churches

Like St Peter's in Rome (which it rather resembles), the current version of St Paul's was built in one fell swoop relatively recently and hasn't been altered much since. Some might prefer that: others (like me) find them both boring and vacuously grandiose and prefer the engaging shabbiness of buildings that reflect the worlds they've lived through.

Westminster Abbey is generally thought to have the better choir - though many think Westminster Cathedral's beats them both. Evensong/Vespers are for listening to, not looking at - which is why the choir's practically invisible at Westminster Cathedral.

Level Contributor
3,033 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Paul's or Westminster

A quick point: if you mean Westminster Abbey, call it by its full name.

Westminster is the name for a whole part of London.

10. Re: St Paul's or Westminster

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 21:05