We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London-- better to go in late March or early June?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newark, Delaware
14 posts
Save Topic
London-- better to go in late March or early June?

We are looking to take our 14 year old daughter to London either during her spring break, which is the last two weeks in March, or mid-June. It is more economical to go in March and easier for my husband to get vacation time then, but I am wondering how the weather is at that time. Besides being in London, she wants to go to the Dr. WHo experience in Cardiff and the Harry Potter experience.

nyc
Level Contributor
276 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London-- better to go in late March or early June?

I vote for mid-June . Days are longer and the flowers are beautiful, London flower boxes are amazing, the English aren't know for their gardens for nothing. If you are lucky you might get a reasonable air fare if you can leave by mo-June.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,096 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London-- better to go in late March or early June?

Generally you get a better weather (ie. more sunny days) and longer days in June. But as you know the weather can change from year to year. March may still be pretty chilly. This year (2013), I think the UK had some late snow in March.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London-- better to go in late March or early June?

March is still winter so expect it to be cold and possibly wet or even snow, shorter days of sunlight and bare trees with little colour.

June will be much warmer (hopefully) with long days of sunlight (sun sets as late as 9.30pm) trees will be green and flowers will be in full bloom.

London will be busier in June with more tourist and more Londoners out and about, more events going on etc etc..

Personally I would pay the extra and visit in June if you can afford too, the only negative I can think of is that queue's for the major attractions will be longer, a small price to pay for being in London in the summer.

rhyl, north wales
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London-- better to go in late March or early June?

June would get my vote aswell,as the previous posters have said the weather will be better and London will be busier,plus from my own point of view I much prefer sitting outside a pub than in it!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London-- better to go in late March or early June?

I would go for June as well - better weather (probably!) and longer days. It will probably be busier around central London at that time, but it's a much pleasanter time of year to be out and about.

Alta, Norway
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: London-- better to go in late March or early June?

I'd choose June.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London-- better to go in late March or early June?

All things being equal - June, but if your husband can't get time off then you might as well come in March. The weather will probably be cold, possibly wet but you never can tell - last year we had 25c in late March (a very rare occurrence, but it can happen). If you do come in March then you will find some places such as stately homes in the country will be closed since they shut down between October and easter, but the attractions located in the cities will still be open and there is plenty to see in London, Cardiff, York, Bath, Oxford etc,etc and you can always pop over to Paris on the Eurostar.

BTW - the Dr Who exhibition is a 6 out of 10 (HP is a 10/10) as rated by my kids so it would be a good thing to combine with other sights in and around Cardiff (Cardiff Castle, St.Fagans, Big Pit etc) but not worth a trip on its own.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London-- better to go in late March or early June?

UK weather is notoriously unpredictable and you can get nice weather and poor weather when you least expect it. However having said that March can often be cold and wet and windy and June is a better bet. Nothing worse than spending all that money and having a really unpleasant week weather -wise.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London-- better to go in late March or early June?

I think we're all agreed that June is the better month so it's up to yourself if you want to pay more and if your husband can move his vacation to June.

Virginia
Level Contributor
586 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London-- better to go in late March or early June?

Well, here's contrary opinion.

We've traveled to London in all months except June, July & August so I can't comment on our experience in those months. As stated in other posts, London & UK weather is totally unpredictable. We've enjoyed all our trips in the "off" months & never count on having good weather. But I have to say we've had many, many lovely days. We just juggle our activities based on the weather. And we like it being a little less crowded & not having queues etc.

So my advice would be, if you're comfortable with the extra cost to go in June, go for it. But it you're not comfortable with the extra cost & scheduling concerns, the go in March & be assured you will still have a wonderful trip.