We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Fl
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping in London

I have heard that you are nor required to tip in London - that service gets paid full wage. Please advise if that is the case for waiters, bartenders & doorman.

USA
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping in London

You do tip waiters in London - usually 10% as opposed to the 15% that seems normal in the USA (though i have lived out of England for several years now so thar % may be out of date) but check first that service is not already added to the bill which it often is. I remember my flatmates young cousin coming to stay with us for a summer and making more money in tips working at The Chicago Pizza Pie Factory than I was making as an accountant working for a large oil company! Don't think you generally tip barteders in pubs. Don't know about doormen.

London, United...
Level Contributor
981 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping in London

Don't know who gave you that information - you will soon become very unpopular if you follow that advice.

In the UK (and London) it is not compulsory to tip - it is up to you - but in some restaurants etc. a service charge may be added to your bill - in which case only tip for exceptional service.

It is not usual to tip bartenders - other than if you become a regular to say "have one yourself" when paying and the bartender will take a nominal amout for a 'drink'

but waiters, doorman, taxi drivers etc. WILL expect a tip - how much and if at all though is up to you.

Tampa, Fl
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping in London

Thanks. I will check the bill first to see if service fee was included first. So is 10% the tipping rate in London or shoudl we use standard USA 15%?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping in London

I usually go for a about 10% and people seem very happy with that.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping in London

For waiters, 10 is plenty but don't sweat it too much - it's not like in the states. Taxi drivers, just round up the fare to the nearest sensible figure. I wouldn't bother tipping doormen myself but porters is fair enough since they've actually done something for you - but again, no one is going to cause a scene if you don't

Don't try and tip barmen - they don't expect it and you're more likely to end in an embarrassing situation if you do than if you don't

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,505 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping in London

Service staff are covered by the UK National Minimum Wage legislation (£5.05 an hour. On 1 October 2006 this will increase to £5.35). To some extent, tips can count towards that, but the employer must make up wages to the mimimum if the tips are not enough. So, by tipping the lowest paid, you may be subsidising the employer rather than increasing the staff's pay. And tips are subject to tax and, usually, National Insurance.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping in London

All the waiting staff I know get tips on top of their wage and would be very disappointed if you weren't pleased enough with their service to tip.

If you want to give a barman something to show your appreciation eg. if they have been particularly helpful or chatted away to you when you are on your own, perhaps on business, then its nice to buy them a drink, but its not expected.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping in London

"but waiters, doorman, taxi drivers etc. WILL expect a tip "

I have NEVER come across any one who EXPECTED a tip in the UK, not even taxi drivers.

Waiters - 10% only if service is not included and they have been really helpful

Taxi drivers - as previously said, round up

Bar staff - not at all usual in city pubs

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
11,936 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping in London

I agree with Mr Cellophane, except that I might round up the 10% for waiters to a slightly higher round figure if I think they have done a good job. I often try to tip waiters in cash as otherwise you are never sure if they actually get it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
981 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping in London

>>> I have NEVER come across any one who EXPECTED a tip in the UK, not even taxi drivers <<<

C,mon Mr. C are you saying you have NEVER had a sarcastic comment from a taxi driver when you paid him exactly what was on the clock ?